Meet HC Vanderbilt’s Events Coordinator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Name: Melissa Ellenburg

Hometown: Miami, FL

Year: Senior

Major/Minor: Psychology, minors in Russian and Corporate Strategy

Campus Involvement: AWB Site Leader, ASB Site Leader, Relay for Life Board, Pi Beta Phi, HerCampus Events Coordinator

When did you get involved with AWB and ASB?

I went on my first ASB trip my sophomore year and I went on AWB for the first time junior year.

What has been your favorite trip so far?

One of the best experiences I had was attending a naturalization ceremony in Philadelphia. Being a part of that was so meaningful because we had just spent a week learning about Philadelphia’s sanctuary policies and volunteering with immigration organizations there. All of my trips have been great opportunities to learn more about myself and about a new community issue. I’ve been able to see new cities and bond with some of the best people I’ve met on campus.

What made you want to be a site leader?

I decided to be a site leader because I wanted to be more involved in learning about the organizations we would be volunteering with. My previous site leaders encouraged me to apply and I’m really glad that I did because it’s been such a rewarding experience.

What’s your favorite thing to do in Nashville?

I love going out to eat and trying new places. But my favorite comfort food is truffle tater tots from Burger Republic.

Niina Kurki

Vanderbilt