courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mary Marshall Anderson, Freshman Superstar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.
Try to have a conversation with Mary Marshall Anderson without leaving uplifted and optimistic. I dare you. Mary Marshall is just one of those girls who radiates warmth and kindness. As Sutherland’s floor five representative, she transformed the mundane common room to our own relaxing getaway, and she’s involved with Homecoming, Dore for a Day, Dance Marathon, and Reunited University Fellowship! She has mastered the art of balancing a great social life, academic success, and community service commitment—all with an inspirational, charming flair. 

Since arriving at Vanderbilt as a freshman, you’ve made such a great impact on our campus. What organizations are you involved with?
I am involved with Vanderbilt Student Government as a representative of my college house, Sutherland; I was on the Vanderbilt Programming Board’s Homecoming Committee; I am a “Dore for a Day” host for prospective students; I am on the Dance Marathon Catering Committee, and I am involved in Reunited University Fellowship.

How do you have time to balance these activities with your demanding Pre-Med schedule?
I think for me it’s all about prioritizing, I always keep in mind the TRUE reason I was accepted into Vanderbilt and the reason why I’m here—to get an undergraduate degree. While I put my grades first, I try to use every free minute, and I also don’t take on more than I can handle. Overextending yourself is one of the worst things you can do because you can’t give your best effort. It’s so amazing that Vanderbilt is a school in which everyone is so busy and involved; it makes it easier when I am constantly motivated by my peers.

As Sutherland’s floor 5 representative, you decorated our common room with gorgeous fresh flowers, great pictures documenting our first two months of college, books such as Kate Spade’s Manners and—most importantly—the floor five candy jar. What motivates you?
Well, I went to an all-girls high school, so I am a firm believer that a girl needs a supportive group of girlfriends to ALWAYS have as a “home base.” College is such a change of pace, and everyone is constantly struggling to find that group. I love our hall because while we might not always hang out together every night or go to every meal together, we have the united vision of being there for each other—it’s an unspoken fact that you can’t just walk past everyone sitting in the Sutherland 5 common area without stopping to talk. When our RA Eileen introduced the floor rep position, I knew that was what I wanted to be immediately. If I could do anything at all to help build upon the initial bond among the girls of my hall, thus fostering our homey community, I would, and serving my floor as floor rep seemed like the perfect chance. Also, I know that this was not an easy position to come by and that there are other people who could be just as amazing floor reps. I’m grateful to have been given the opportunity to serve, and I figure I better make the most of the opportunities I’ve been given.

What do you do when you’re not preparing to become a doctor or showering Sutherland with love?
Being on Vandy’s campus has been a complete whirlwind since move-in day. There is SO MUCH to do all day, every day. So, every chance I get when I’m not busy with school or organizations, I’ve tried to explore Vandy and better understand everything that makes the culture of this school “tick.” From “Spotlight” to football games, from trying different places to eat around campus to the Homecoming Block Party, Vanderbilt literally has so much to offer its students all the time. I would feel like I was cheating myself if I wasn’t making the most of freshman year. I’m not going to meet new people and expand my horizons by doing school work and staying in my dorm room, and Vandy makes it easy because finding something to do is the last thing we have to worry about. Haha, I thought I was busy in high school, but that was before I knew how demanding college was – it’s a 24/7 job, and I feel like freshmen rarely get a break to simply chill, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything!