Let’s Make Your Mondays Great Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Vanderbilt Initiative for Veg. Awareness and The Humane League are teaming up to start a Meatless Monday movement on campus. This is a nationwide movement that encourages you to save animals, water, and trees by going meatless on Mondays. 

Not only is a vegetarian diet really healthy (and delicious), it’s one of the easiest ways for you to help save farm animals! If you’re an environmentalist, this day is also for you. The goal of Meatless Mondays is to reduce Vanderbilt’s meat consumption so that it can strive to be more sustainable and promote healthy choices, while also alleviating the suffering of animals.

Going Meatless on Mondays reduces your chances of cancer, heart disease, and stroke, three leading causes of death in the United States. You also save about 133 gallons of water and 24 square feet of land per meatless meal! Best of all, by eating meatless just one day per week, you save about 28 land animals and 175 aquatic animals per year.

Meatless Mondays are an incredibly easy commitment. It’s only 1 day out of 7 and 3 meals out of 21. Try out a funky salad combo at Leaf or the new Bowls in Rand! Also…mac and cheese and pizza are vegetarian, so are you really missing out on anything?  If you need any motivation, check out @vandyviva on Instagram! ]

For more information on compassionate eating, to receive amazing recipes and vegetarian motivation, sign the Vanderbilt University Meatless Monday pledge here: http://vandy.meatlessmondaypledge.com/

Already vegetarian or vegan? Signing this pledge is like a pat on the back—thanks so much for what you do for animals already! Consider making Monday your vegan day or tell-a-friend about Meatless Mondays day. Every small action we take really can make a difference in an animal’s life. If that doesn’t make you feel great on Monday, I don’t know what will.