Julia Gabriel: Most Likely to Be the First Female President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Name: Julia GabrielYear: SophomoreCampus Involvement: Vanderbilt Student Government; Kappa Delta; Greek Emerging Leaders program; Senior Class Fund Underclassman RepresentativeSuperlative(s): Most Likely to Be the First Female President / Most Likely to Write a Famous Autobiography (this girl is going places!) Claim to Fame: Instagram Extraordinaire (find one of her pics in our Snapshot article this week) 

1) What is your title for VSG and what does that entail? I currently serve as Executive Assistant for VSG. The main thing I love about my job is that I don’t really have a job description- I’m mainly just an extra member on cabinet to help out with various projects and initiatives. While my explicit duties involve a lot of note-taking and internal organization, I’m also able to get involved with some more large-scale initiatives and explore all different sides of VSG.

2) What is the best part about being involved in VSG? My favorite part is definitely the people. Every day I get to work with a team of insanely dedicated, talented, creative students who are working so hard to make an impact on campus. VSG has also helped me meet amazing students from all different corners of campus through collaboration with other student organizations, as well as get in contact with a lot of administrators. These people really exemplify the Vanderbilt spirit, and I’m so lucky to know so many inspiring campus leaders.

3) What would you get involved in if you had more time in the day? Honestly, if I had more time in the day, I’d probably spend it relaxing. While I love filling up every hour with activities and events, I definitely wish that I had more time to just enjoy the little things. I love hiking, reading, going to museums, and exploring Nashville, so would take more time for those sorts of experiences. I’d probably sleep a lot more too- that’s definitely something I don’t get enough of!

4) What is your favorite memory of Vanderbilt so far? My favorite Vandy memory so far is definitely Rites of Spring last year. The concerts happened during one of the most stressful weeks all year, but Rites was a great way to decompress. I’ve always loved going to concerts, but it was so cool to be able to see some of my favorite bands perform right on my campus, while I was surrounded entirely by Vandy students. I think at Vandy we sometimes get so caught up in our individual activities and friend groups, but Rites was the perfect way to unite as a community and watch some amazing artists.

5) What do you do to break out of the Vanderbubble? I’m a huge believer in breaking out of the Vanderbubble; it can get pretty claustrophobic. One of the easiest ways is just to get off campus for a few hours a week, whether that means going to a coffee shop or just taking a walk in Centennial Park. Nashville has so much to offer, and we often forget about that while being stuck at Vandy. I love trying new restaurants in the Gulch and East Nashville, taking off-campus fitness classes, and volunteering with other community members.

6) What are your career aspirations? My career aspirations pretty much change on a daily basis. My current plan is to go into consulting, preferably dealing with strategy or human capital. I’m also really interested in social enterprise, so could also see myself working in the nonprofit sector. No matter what, I want to work for a company that is passionate about having a positive social impact, and would love a job that allows me to travel internationally. 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.