Jeni’s v. Legato Gelato

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.
Sorbet? Eh. Popsicles? Okay. Fro-yo? So freshman year.

Ice cream and gelato? Gimme gimme.

You may have always wondered what the difference actually is between ice cream and gelato and if there really even is one. Let me tell you, after tasting the concotions that Edgehill Village’s Legato Gelato puts out, I finally understood.

The flavors are more intense with gelato. When you eat strawberry gelato, it feels as if some magical force up there converted a strawberry straight into its creamy, frozen counterpart. There is a greater proportion of milk to cream in gelato, giving it a smaller fat percentage than ice cream. It is also churned and whipped at slower speeds, allowing a much smaller amount of air to slip in.
That makes ice cream the fattier but lighter one of the two. There can be as much as 50 percent of air making up your ice cream.

However, I don’t want to let the numbers be the one to influence your decision. I’m leaving that up to the snapshots I’ve captured over the last year of Nashville’s own Legato Gelato and the small chain Jeni’s. 
Jeni’s
Legato Gelato
Jeni’s
Legato Gelato

I don’t about you, but everything looks so yummy to me, I wouldn’t mind having either!
Jules Wilson

Vanderbilt

I'm a girl caught between being a Northerner and a Southerner, but currently residing in Music City. My dorm room is covered in tapestries from Bonnaroo, black and white photos of Paris, a Van Gogh painting-in-a-poster, blue and white christmas lights, and an array of Taylor Swift posters (she is queen). My dream is to write for Marie Claire magazine.