The Importance of Serving On A Board:Volunteer of the Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

The spotlight volunteer this month, Monica Cooley, has been involved with Global Education Center for close to twenty years now. Not only does she teach a dance class for educational and fundraising events, but she also serves on the board for the organization. She has served in many ways as many different positions, including president and currently as secretary.

She notices people often forget serving on a board of a non-profit is a truly important and fulfilling way of serving their community. Monica believes that everyone should serve on the board of a non-profit at some point in their lives. Non-profits always need help fundraising and it would be beneficial to the individual as well to see the value of the non-profit. Whichever non-profit, it would show the volunteer what the organization is working towards and how they are trying to get there.

Her service is what fills in the cracks in the organization. She does a smidgen of everything while she serves on the board. Monica gets to be involved in the entire process from start to finish. 

Nashville’s Volunteer of the Month is a program of Doing Good, a 501(c)3, nonprofit organization which educates and inspires people by celebrating the real stories of real people who volunteer. For additional information about Monica, Doing Good, or other volunteers, visit the website www.DoingGood.tv or @DoingGoodTV on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, or YouTube.

By: Annie Low

Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."