How We’re Surviving Fall Semester at Vanderbilt

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Fall semester can be rough, especially when you’ve had a great summer and aren’t ready to get back into the groove of classes again. This semester has been a rough one at Vanderbilt for many students, but we’ve been using the official Her Campus Fall Survival Kit to get us through ‘til Spring. This year’s survival kit featured tons of hair products from Bed Head, three different types of face masks from Freeman Beauty, two different flavors of Spindrift sparkling water, Erin Condren planners, hundreds of mini Hi-Chews, Steripod toothbrush covers, and L’oreal tanning products.

I spend a lot of time every day trying to style my hair to exactly the way I want it. Even though I usually wake up just minutes before I have to leave for class, I can’t stomach walking out of my apartment with messy, undone hair. Luckily, with Bed Head by TIGI’s “Rockaholic: Dirty Secret” dry shampoo that’s never a problem anymore. Instead of spending 20 minutes trying to figure out how to make my hair shiny without being super greasy, I can just spray a little bit of Dirt Secret and my hair is the perfect amount of shiny, but doesn’t feel weighed down by excess oil.

Bed Head by TIGI’s hair products make it easier for me to get to class on time, but there are still times when I feel overwhelmed and have to focus on a self-care, which is where Spindrift, Freeman Beauty, and Hi-Chews come into play. The Center for Student Wellbeing hosted one of their many self-care events right before Halloween where Her Campus brought our Blackberry and Raspberry Lime Spindrift sparkling water to share with all of the Vandy students coloring and hanging out all in the name of self-care. The face masks and Hi-Chews were great for personal self-care activities when you just wanted to relax in your dorm and stuff your face without eating tons of junk food. Each face mask felt soothing or tingly and made my skin look 10x brighter and fresh afterwards while the Hi-Chews let me pig out on sweets that wasn’t unhealthy like all of the other candy I have laying around my apartment.

The Erin Condren planners ending up being the perfect thing for keeping organized when you’re taking 18 hours and are in so many clubs that it becomes practically impossible to keep track of all the meetings you have to attend. Writing things down is probably one of the most fundamental lessons I learned from (my favorite movie) The Devil Wears Prada and it has come in handy plenty of times this semester. Another important lesson that I’ve learned is that in college everyone gets sick all of the time so you have to do whatever you can to stay as sanitary as possible. Steripods are toothbrush covers that sterilize your toothbrush with minty antibacterial microbead-like caps. Instead of having your toothbrush sit exposed in your bathroom or laying in a grody bathroom drawer, you can put a Steripod cap on it and place it wherever you want without it getting super gross and contributing to all of the diseases that are spreading around this time of year. 

Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."