How to Have a Great Girls Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.
College is a non-stop party, or so it can seem. If you’re getting burnt out on going out, try taking time off for a night in to help to recharge you, and to remind you that sometimes staying in can be just as fun. The perfect girl’s night out takes the right mix of great friends, delicious food, fantastic flicks, and lots of fun of course.

Friends:
In order to have a great time, you can’t just invite any random girl from your hall. Choose wisely, because you’ll be having heart-to-hearts by the end of the night. Don’t pick your friend with severe FOMO, because they’ll spend all night trying to convince you to “please just go out for a little bit” and will probably be scrolling through Twitter and Instagram all night long. Opt for the friends who you know you’ll have fun with, not the ones you dress up for and try to impress. You’ll be “sweatpant, hair-tied, chillin’ with no makeup on,” so that this night can be the best you’ve ever had. Friends you can laugh with (snort included) are always the best choice.

Food:
Forget saving up your calories for the heavy beer that you force yourself to drink. Tonight you do you. Whether that means going all out and baking every recipe on your “NOMS” Pinterest page, or attempting an alternative dessert of avocado cocoa pudding or vegan cupcakes, have fun with it! If you’re of age, make it a wine night or experiment with some crazy cocktail combinations. The best part of it all is that you can sleep off a food coma and take a boozy snooze if need be. I mean, hey, you’re staying in.

Flicks:
Take the movie choices in any direction you want to. If it’s anywhere near Halloween or Christmas, ABC Family will have hours of movie for you to choose from. If not, you can choose classic favorites like Princess Diaries, Mean Girls, She’s the Man, or Clueless. There is also no shame in a Disney night belting out and singing along to Mulan, Hercules or Frozen. Been there done that… Or, if you and your friends have been dying to check out a new series, now is the perfect opportunity to binge shamelessly.

Fun:
You can ensure a fun time doing almost anything. For some, this may be board or video games, such as the crowd-pleasing Cards Against Humanity or certified embarrassment of Just Dance. A spa night complete with masks, manicures, and impromptu yoga sessions will also bring on fits of giggles guaranteed.

Make your night what you want. There are lots of tips here, but the idea is to let loose, live for the moment and your ladies, and laugh your way to early morning. I promise you won’t regret one night.