Gloria Rothenberg, Basketball Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

If you see a tall, slender brunette with the biggest smile on her face that seems to immediately brighten your day, you have luckily come across Gloria Rothenberg, one of Vanderbilt’s newest and most admirable members. Not only does Gloria seem to know everyone on campus despite her minimal 2 months at Vanderbilt thus far, but Gloria also has other abilities that seem to be kept secret. Gloria is modest by nature, but we think that it is time for her to reveal and show off her incredible talent! All that we are saying is that those long legs were meant to do big things…on the court!

When did you start playing basketball?
I started playing for fun when I was 7… My Grandpa (who was in the NBA) spent many hours teaching me how to shoot a lay-up during the summer going into second grade. The first time I was on a team was in fourth grade

What was the best advice a coach ever told you and how have you applied that to your life, primarily at Vanderbilt?
That it is “good to be nervous.”  He used to tell me this before big games, and explain that an appropriate amount of pressure will help me to be the best that I can be.  I have used this advice in my first few months at Vanderbilt by embracing academic, social, and personal nerves… Instead of fretting about “being stressed,” I think about how it can help me in the long run.

Did you win any titles while playing on your team?
This past year we won our league of the Super Essex Conference, which was exciting for us!

Is basketball something you ever see your self pursuing again, even for fun?
Yes!  I have played for fun at the REC a few times, but hope to play more as the year goes on.

What is one thing on your bucket list?
I hope to run a marathon at some point in my life!

Alexa Gores

Vanderbilt

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.