Emily Torres: Love a Latte

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

A few summers ago, Emily Torres started a blog out of boredom. Now a senior at Vanderbilt, her blog has become a creative outlet for her and a gateway to a career in writing. If you’re looking for restaurant reviews, lifestyle tips, and more, you won’t find a better blog than Love a Latte, a beacon of positivity amidst the stress of Vanderbilt. In the meantime, read her interview below to find out more about this super cool, fit, and wise fellow Commodore!  

1) What made you decide to start a blog?

The summer after sophomore year, I was interning near home, but on the days I had off, I was really bored and had way too much time on my hands. My mom suggested I start a blog about all the weird things I saw on my commute (public transit in LA was weird) since I was always writing short stories anyways. I took her suggestion–I figured I might as well be productive, I had always loved writing, and I was an avid reader of blogs. But, after a few drafts, I kind of realized I wanted to write about other things. I wasn’t great at being candidly funny, but as I perused other blogs, I got a sense of what kind of things I wanted to write about. I didn’t originally want to share my blog–it was my personal project to save me from boredom, but my friends suggested I do so because they claimed it was relatable! 

2) What do you love about blogging?

First and foremost, I love writing. It’s an outlet for me to do so and in a way that’s personal to me. More than that, it’s extremely therapeutic for me. Secondly, I love the ability to reflect. I’ve learned a lot about myself and others as I start writing. It’s made me really introspective. Third, it’s built a great community. It’s started a lot of conversations between people I may have never been friends with. Blogging is a great way to build connections and friendships.3) Do you ever run into challenges with blogging?

I struggle with writer’s block pretty often. Sometimes, at school, I feel like all I do is study…and who wants to read about that for posts on end? So, I struggle sometimes with coming up with material to write about. Time management is also hard. I blog considerably less when I get really busy with school.4) What is your favorite thing to write about?

I like to write about “life” things, which I acknowledge is really broad. But, I like to blog about friends, school, life lessons I’ve learned. I’m a bit all over the place. 

5) Would you be interested in making a career out of writing or blogging?

I actually do want to become a writer post-grad! My eventual goal is to work as a freelance writer for female-interest and fitness magazines. But, I also want to work in the entertainment industry, hopefully in public relations or publicity. I don’t have a definite post-grad plan yet, but I know I want to be on the West Coast!6) What else are you involved in on campus?

I am a member of Alpha Chi Omega! I also am a Site Leader for ASB, a member of the Homecoming Committee (part of VPB), and a member of the senior class fund committee.7) What has been your favorite on-campus moment?

Oh gosh there’s so many! Definitely the nights in watching TV and procrastinating with friends, tailgates, and baseball games. Oh, and the time Charlie Worsham came and did an acoustic performance and a Q&A in my country music class! I was a bit starstruck when he took a picture with me!

8) What is your favorite place to go/thing to do in Nashville?

I absolutely love Radnor Lake. It’s gorgeous and a perfect place to get away from the Vandy Bubble. I also love Fido. It’s probably my favorite place in Nashville–to study, eat, hang out. It was the first place I went after coming back from abroad!

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.