The Best Workout Classes in Nashville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Sometimes, trying to motivate yourself to hit the gym is like trying to lift your 97-pound dog into the car- impossible. But what if you had a fun, group exercise class to look forward to, something that might actually make your workout seem… dare I say it… fun?? 

Enter the best workout classes that Nashville has to offer, from Barry’s to Pure Barre. Read on to find out more about these classes and pick your favorite! Trust me, there’s something on this list for everyone. 

Barry’s Boot Camp

Lauded by many celebrities as the best way to get fit, this super intense workout class combines treadmill intervals with strength training, so your body is never at rest. You might feel on the verge of death during and after your first class, but once you get the hang of it, you might even grow to love it. At the very least, consider going to a class whenever you go a little overboard on dinner and drinks with the girls. It is a proven hangover cure and the absolute best way to feel skinny before any big event. 

Hot Yoga Plus // Shakti 

Hot yoga is actually one of the most underrated workouts on the planet. Just one hour-long session can leave you absolutely dripping in sweat without having to run five million miles. You won’t get the same calorie burn that you will from other intense cardio classes, but you will build muscle and tone parts of your body that you didn’t know existed. Plus, strength training actually helps you burn more calories after you work out, as it raises your metabolism. I’m a fan of Hot Yoga Plus on Elliston, but many of my friends prefer Shakti, mostly because Chris Carmack (Luke from the OC) happens to do his hot yoga there. Apparently he looks pretty good with his shirt off, if that is of any interest to you ;) 

Hotbox 

Hotbox is definitely not for everyone. It consists of crazy intense kickboxing, yelling instructors, a semi-heated room, and some pretty intense rap music. Some people love it, some people hate it. But there is no denying that it’s a fantastic workout. You can burn up to 800 calories in one hour-long session, which is basically unheard of. But don’t expect to burn those kinds of calories without putting in a crazy amount of effort. You’ll literally be dead after a class, but hey, sometimes dead ain’t half bad. 

Pure Barre 

Pure Barre is easily the best barre studio in Nashville at the moment, though this might change when Barre 3 arrives in the Gulch later this year. However, if you’re looking to tone up those trouble zones and blast some serious fat, sign up for Pure Barre in Green Hills today. You won’t sweat that much, but you will shake until you literally can’t hold a plie squat anymore. I couldn’t walk after my first class, and my triceps literally killed. But for some reason, the burn associatd with barre is much better than typical post-workout soreness. I actually kind of feel like a ballerina at Pure Barre, and who doesn’t want to feel like that? 

While some of these classes are pretty expensive, I’m a firm believer that investing in your health and fitness should be a priority. Just redistribute some of the money that you spend on alcohol to a workout class- trust me, you won’t regret it. 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.