Bachelor Recap: Hometown Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

This week on “The Bachelor,” we have the hometown dates with the final four contestants–Raven, Rachel, Corinne, and Vanessa. Since I essentially hate Nick 110% now, I’m only watching this show for the women. This week, we got to see what a Day in the Life is like for each of these women, and that made this episode more enjoyable than the last few weeks.

Raven

Raven rides in on a dirt bike, looking like a badass. When Nick climbs on, he’s terrified and grabs onto her tight, which I think is very symbolic of their relationship. NIck is realizing that these women are way higher quality than he is, and he’s intimidated by it. Oh god, sorry, so used to writing analytical papers that I’m analyzing “The Bachelor.” Moving on.

Raven takes Nick up to the top of grain silos to make out, but the cops show up. It turns out to be her adorable older brother, and seeing Nick be terrified of actually getting arrested was great. Raven totally played up being scared of the cop and tricked Nick so hard. 

However, Raven has a very guarded heart and is afraid to tell Nick that she’s falling in love with him. Although her family pushes her to be open with Nick, she can’t do it. 

I will give props to Nick for sitting through a very awkward moment when Raven’s dad reveals that he is cancer free. I’m not saying it was awkward for him to say this, as it was a very touching scene, but for this to happen in the first five minutes that you meet your girlfriend’s dad? Uh, awkward.

Rachel

Tbh I didn’t pay attention that much during Rachel’s hometown date because I know she’s not making it to the end. It just feels like a waste of time. 

The basic gist of Rachel’s date was educating Nick and the viewers on the fact that, uh, fun fact, Rachel is BLACK. She takes Nick to her Black church, and her mom confronts Nick on if understands the reality of being in an interracial relationship. 

This scene made me excited for Rachel’s season and how her family will react to her potential suitors. I think it is important to recognize that Rachel’s race does matter, and it will be interesting how they discuss it on her season. The fact that a Black woman has made it this far on a season of “The Bachelor” and WILL BE the FIRST Black Bachelorette are a big deal. We do not live in a post-racial society. This show has been historically VERY white. The conversations this week were a little awkward and felt too staged. 

Corinne

This was the hometown date that everyone was waiting for. This was the only reason I was okay with Corinne staying over Kristina because now, we get to meet Raquel. And lemme tell you–Raquel was the TRUE star of hometowns. She basically had a one-on-one with Nick, where they sat on the balcony of Corinne’s family’s fancy apartment, and they talked about how much they cared for Corinne. Raquel is really just a family housekeeper, who cooks, cleans, and babies the entire family. The show hyped up her role as Corinne’s nanny, and seeing her interactions with the family made me realize that it’s not just Corinne she takes care of. It’s definitely a matter of privilege, though, that Corinne’s family has this housekeeper who is “a part of the family” and does everything for them. And that Corinne’s day in the life date consists of her shopping at a very expensive mall. 

Source: ABC’s The Bachelor

Another noteworthy moment was Corinne’s dad being very concerned about Nick’s ability to provide for the family and if he was a good suitor for his daughter. Corinne assures her father that she is comfortable with being the breadwinner, and it’s interesting to see Nick portrayed as incapable of pulling in a decent income. Or rather, an income that can support Raquel’s salary and Corinne’s shopping habits. 

Also, Corinne tells Nick she loves him. It’s a big moment for her, but not really for us. Nick and her are just sitting at a mall cafe in Miami and she blinks her eyes a lot and the words come out. There’s no rose petals shaped like a heart (Luke! Oh! I miss you :/) off to the side from a family picnic, or a candelit room. It’s just…Corinne….at a mall. 

Vanessa

If Rachel’s hometown was hyping up that she’s African American, then Vanessa’s hometown hyped up the fact that she lives in Canada. OMG another country that’s conveniently attached to ours. Her family is not on board with the concept of Nick dating three other women and that he hasn’t discussed post-“Bachelor” life with Vanessa. Where will they live? Will Vanessa leave Montreal? Will Nick move to Montreal so Vanessa can keep teaching her AMAZING special-ed students, who we got to meet? Her students beat Raquel hands down.

If anything, Nick and Vanessa haven’t had time to discuss these issues because they’re still trying to get to know one another on the limited date time they get. Her dad gives him a really hard time (thank you!!!) because Nick asks for his blessing to get engaged to Vanessa. Aw, how cute, you think to yourself. WRONG. Nick asked EACH GIRL’S DAD if he could have their blessing, in case it came down to him wanting to propose to their daughter?

My friend argued that Nick was just trying to be efficient and when else would he get the chance ask this question, but I disagreed. I think it was really inauthentic and sleazy to ask for four father’s blessings in ONE week. Her father calls him out on it and asks if he posed the same question to the other women, because he’s been listening to Vanessa insist all night that she knows she’s going to be engaged to Nick at the end of this. When Nick admits that he has, her father is peeved, but ultimately relents. I wish he hadn’t given him the blessing, but whatever. He does tell Vanessa about the convo, which leaves her very upset going into the rose ceremony. 

Rose Ceremony

The rose ceremony is in Brooklyn because New York is Nick’s “favorite city in the entire world.” Nick and these blanket statements kill me. He’s got no orginality to his language. The only good thing about him at this point are his abs, which are pretty damn nice. 

Before we can go to the rose ceremony, Andi shows up at Nick’s hotel room to go over some past shiz. OH SNAP. To be continued. For next week, will Vanessa confront Nick about his shadiness in asking for so many blessings in one week? Will she quit the show because she knows she’s better than this? Will she give back his rose or just walk out before the rose ceremony? Or will she stick around? What about Corinne? Will this be the week she finally goes home? And what does Andi want to talk about with Nick? Will Raven and Rachel regret not telling Nick that they’re falling in love with him? 

How much of an idiot will Nick be next week? Let’s tune in to find out! 

Jules Wilson

Vanderbilt

I'm a girl caught between being a Northerner and a Southerner, but currently residing in Music City. My dorm room is covered in tapestries from Bonnaroo, black and white photos of Paris, a Van Gogh painting-in-a-poster, blue and white christmas lights, and an array of Taylor Swift posters (she is queen). My dream is to write for Marie Claire magazine.