This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

When you’re in college, the first few weeks can feel like everything is fun and games, where absolutely nothing can bring you down. You waltz into your Calculus class with a smile on your face every time and you’ve yet to feel the misery of a Buckles exam. But without a doubt, you’re knocked off your high horse by week four when what started out as just the sniffles or a measly little cough has turned into a full-fledged addiction to Vicks and Muscinex.

Inevitably you, along with every other freshman before you, will catch the Commons Plague.

You’ve been cooped up with approximately a thousand other incoming college students who have yet to understand the full concept of self-care and haven’t had time to get used to so many different bacteria from so many different people. However, even if you’re suffering from the unfortunate symptoms of Commons Plague, here are a few things you can do to get better.

1. Binge on your favorite Netflix show. 

This has no actual effect on your physical well-being, obviously. But when you’re not feeling well, you have a perfect excuse to ignore academic responsibilities a little more and watch back to back episodes of Meredith Grey’s badass-ness.

2. Avoid contact with the outside world. 

Commons Plague gets worse when everyone is always around each other, and sickness has the chance to spread like wildfire. I mean, I’m not going to tell you NOT to go out on Thursday night, but this might be the week when you want to minimize it to a Friday/Saturday rather than a three-night scenario.

3. Call your mom.

One thing that can be really hard about college is that there isn’t anyone to take care of you, Sure, when you have pneumonia, there’s Student Health. Otherwise, you’re left to your own devices, which can lead to you really missing the caring nature of your mom. This is a perfect time to call her! And of course, she will be more than happy to hear from her favorite child :)  

Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."