samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Reputation is Key

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Reputation is defined as beliefs or opinions that are generally held about someone or something. Your reputation and character are one in the same. By shaping your character, it creates your reputation. Some may disagree and think that they are totally separate things, but, in my opinion, they aren’t.

If you try too hard to be someone you aren’t, it’s going to show. At the end of the day, if you are not yourself, then how can someone truly see who you are? Reputation holds value. Think of it as money. The more you have in your bank account, the more you’re able to spend. If you spend recklessly, you’re going to be broke and in a stage where people just may judge you in a negative way. On the other hand, if you invest in things that are positive and things that will push you forward in life, people will see that as you’re actually doing something for yourself. Money is easier to earn than to keep. This relates to reputation and character because if you don’t represent your life with valuable things and things that push you forward, your character is looked down on and overall, your reputation becomes frowned upon.

There’s only so much we can control about our reputations. A person’s character is what pushes their reputation. A person’s character is defined as the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual. Each and every person has this; its what sets each person apart. Self-esteem plays a big part of your reputation because the way you feel about yourself and the confidence within yourself is going to show. If your self-esteem is low, people are going to think of you that way. If you have a high self-esteem, people will see you as being a stronger individual.

There are many benefits when having a good reputation. You can meet people that can potentially take you places where you want to be. Establishing yourself is key to that because in the real world, that’s what life is about, making connections and presenting yourself in the best way without having to pretend. Another benefit is respect. Respect is one of the most important things in life. When people see that others are giving you much respect, it’s going to spread. Further more, it will get you ahead in life. Your credibility is much stronger when your reputation is good. People trust your word more and will come to you more often for help. When it comes to careers, a good reputation is always a benefit. It gets you places faster.

Overall, reputation is key because it follows you your whole life. Your reputation is going to be the thing someone judges you by. Making sure that your character stays on par with your true self is going to make your reputation shine bright.

“If I take care of my character, my reputation will take care of itself.”

D.L. Moody

HCXO!

Hello, Paige Buchanan is currently a junior mass media major and journalism minor at Valdosta State University. She loves the art of writing and media. Her career goal is to be a News Anchor. She loves to socialize with new people, explore her options in every aspect, and has many goals set for herself. She always has loved the quote "The Sky Isn't The Limit, It's Only The View" Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: paige_beauty96
Her Campus at Valdosta State.