nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Women Rock: Jasmine Allen CEO of Ugly Urban

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

If you haven’t heard of Ugly Urban yet, trust me — you will.

Jasmine Allen is the founder and CEO of the clothing brand Ugly Urban. She is the definition of a true artist; someone who takes the time to produce quality products. (I own one of her t-shirts, and the fabric is top tier. Nothing like the random folks selling t-shirts for a quick come up). 

I got the chance to ask Jasmine a couple of questions and get to know her, and her vision a little better. I know you guys will enjoy this interview!

Also, before we get started be sure to keep up with Ugly Urban on Instagram : @UUClothing #WomenRock  

Getting to know the CEO!

1.   Let’s just start by you telling us a little about yourself! My name is Jasmine Allen. I was born and raised in Adel GA. I’m an Art major at Valdosta State University.  

2.  What is your biggest fear? My biggest fear is not trying, it’s too much of a grey area for my anxiety lol I absolutely hate that “what if” feeling.  

3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? I see myself in New York City doing what I love — hopefully opening a store front.  

4. Who are your biggest fashion inspirations? Kanye West  #1. Then I’d say  #2 is Fabolous (that’s the correct spelling of his name) #3 Teyana Taylor

5. What’s your favorite clothing brand (other than your own of course)? Ummm I have to say Fila and Nike. I’m very chilled. If I can’t throw on jogging pants and sneakers then I’m probably not coming

All about Ugly Urban!

1. How did Ugly Urban get it’s start?

I knew in 8th grade I wanted my own line. During that time baby phat and juicy culture were popping so I thought I wanted something similar to that but as I found myself I started to value originality. The name is sticky and it makes people talk. I think that’s important to a brand; something that’s not like everything else.

2. Where does the name “Ugly Urban” come from/what does it mean to you?

Ugly Urban comes from my views on life it means “The UGLY struggle to defy Urban stereotypes”. It’s just two things that I’m passionate about.

3. Has being a fashion designer always been your dream? If not, what led you into that direction?

Yes lol. Even in his absence, my father had a role in that. My mom started letting me dress myself at the age of two and my dad sent me care packages every so often. In one package he sent me these red loafers. I wore them with everything. From what I was told about younger me I was always fashion forward, even in my early years.

4. What has been toughest part of your journey? What is something you tell yourself to keep going?

I’d have to say doing everything alone. I feel like the brand is so delicate I just can’t have anybody on my team, so even though its tough, I do a lot on my own. I’m constantly telling myself “this is temporary”. I’m a firm believer in “your whole life can change in a year”. You have to trust the struggle.

5. If you can remember a specific day, or time, tell us about the hardest day you had with Ugly Urban? (I don’t know if this question is clear but I mean like, what was a point where you thought to yourself ‘f*ck it I’m going to quit!’)

Honestly, I can say this is the first time in life that I’ve stuck to something even with turbulence.

6. What has been the best day for Ugly Urban? (basically, the opposite of the question above. One of your highest achievements so far.)

The best day was April 17,2016. That’s the birthdate of the brand. To actually see the brand come to life after going back and forth about releasing material and to feel confident that “damn, I really just might have done something great”.

7. Have you noticed any hardships along your journey strictly pertaining to you being a woman entrepreneur that you don’t think you would’ve experienced if you were a man?

No, actually people really have taken to it just from word of mouth and people wearing it is amazing lol I’m not sure if people really know it’s a female behind the brand.

8. What are some upcoming projects Ugly Urban has coming up that we should be on the lookout for?

I’m an artist to the truest extent. I’m going to start incorporating my hand work in the brand. I’m also looking to make the transition from t-shirts to actual clothing pieces, from jackets to sneakers.

9. How do you juggle college and entrepreneurship?

I literally pray I don’t die lol. It’s a major task. I’m in college full time, work full time and I’m running the brand — but if you’re going to give all this time to other people business, you better find the energy for your own. Somebody said “Don’t work for somebody else for 8 hours come home and not work on your own dreams. You are not tired, you are uninspired” . I live by that motto.  

10. Who do you draw inspiration from for your designs?

I’m a day dreamer — my mind is constantly going. I find inspiration in almost anything. I wish I would have wrote a lot of things down soon as I thought about them. I’ve lost so many ideas due to thinking “that’s too dope for me to forget” .

11. With 2018 being right around the corner, what are some goals that you have for Ugly Urban in the upcoming year?

I won’t say too much, but its a lot of greatness on the way. Just stay looking for me close to your favorite brands.

12. Do you see Ugly Urban branching out into areas other than fashion? If so, what do you see for Ugly Urban in the future?

I want a scholarship fund. I plan to start a scholarship next year at my old high school just making good on the things I’ve promised myself.

Fun Questions!

1. If you could see any one famous person in Ugly Urban gear, who would it be?

Teyana Taylor. She’s dope to me

2.  If you received the chance to open an Ugly Urban store in any city in the world tomorrow, where would you choose?

New York City — if you can make it there you can make it anywhere

3. What is your current favorite piece that you’ve designed from Ugly Urban?

It hasn’t yet dropped yet but it’s the “No More Heartbreaks” series. It’s basically a representation of my current mind state. I feel like as people we let a lot of things pull at the heart that shouldn’t.

4. Give a shout out to your top 3 supporters!

S/O to God and My mama

5. Is there anything else that you would like for the readers to know about Ugly Urban that we didn’t cover in the interview?

It’s not so much about the brand, it’s just a piece of fruit to eat.  “Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness”

Markesia Barron is a senior at Valdosta State University. She majors in Middle Grades Education concentrated in Language Arts and Reading. After graduation, she plans to become a middle school Language Arts teacher in the Metro Atlanta area. Markesia enjoys writing, reading, super-hero movies, and meditating outside. She's a big Beyonce fan and self-care enthusiast.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.