#WomanCrushWednesday: Top 13 Aaliyah Hits That Everyone Should Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The recent debut of the controversial biopic of the late great songstress Aaliyah Dana Haughton has many fans in an uproar. Most of us feel that the movie didn’t do Aaliyah and her talents any justice.

To pay homage to the late and great R&B powerhouse who showed remarkable growth and lyrical grace during her drastically shortened career, let’s go back down memory lane to remind ourselves why she is considered one of the greatest of all time. Here is a list of her top hits that everyone should love.

1. “Back and Forth” (1994)

“Back and Forth”, produced by R. Kelly, was a song about a teenager looking forward to the weekend. It became Aaliyah’s first hit single when she was only 15. This song showed her remarkable talent when it reached #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 and topped the R&B chart.

2. “At Your Best (You Are Love)” (1994)

“At Your Best” was recorded for Aaliyah’s debut album, Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number, but was originally recorded by the Isley Brothers in 1976. This single went on to become Aaliyah’s second top 10 pop hit, peaking at #6.

3. “Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number” (1995)

“Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number” is the title single from Aaliyah’s debut album. This single was produced by R. Kelly and generated some speculation in its lyrics about dating someone older, since Aaliyah was only 15 when the song was released.

4. “If Your Girl Only Knew” (1996)

Aaliyah was only 17 when “If Your Girl Only Knew” was released as the first single from her One In a Million album. This was the first record that showcased the talent of all three collaborators, Aaliyah, Missy Elliott, and Timbaland. “If Your Girl Only Knew” hit #1 on the R&B singles chart and went to #11 on the Billboard Hot 100.

5. “One In a Million” (1996)

“One In a Million”, produced by Timbaland, became a huge hit on the dance/club charts, and topped the R&B charts for six weeks straight after incorporating a beat that was praised for its innovative take on the drum-n-bass sound that was coming out of Europe at the time. This became a defining moment in Aaliyah’s career.

6. “4 Page Letter” (1997)

While “4 Page Letter” was not a traditional smash hit on the Billboard charts, it quickly became one of the album’s standouts because the lyrics were wise beyond Aaliyah’s 17 years. This song, which was co-written by Missy and Timbaland, provided yet another infectious beat, as Aaliyah sung an open love letter to a potential lover.

7. “Are You That Somebody?” (1998)

Aaliyah recorded “Are You That Somebody” for the soundtrack to the film Dr. Doolittle, which earned Aaliyah her first Grammy Award nomination for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.

8. “Try Again” (2000)

“Try Again” was recorded for the soundtrack Romeo Must Die, which Aaliyah starred in as her first major movie role. The song went on to become her only single to go to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and her first song to hit #1 based solely on radio airplay. “Try Again” was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.

9. “We Need a Resolution” featuring Timbaland (2001)

“We Need a Resolution” was the lead single from Aaliyah’s self-titled third album. It details a relationship with difficulties by using lyrical snippets like, “Am I supposed to change, are you supposed to change,” and “We need a resolution, we have so much confusion.” This complex, futuristic feel song was only a minor commercial success.

10. “I Care 4 U” (2002)

“I Care 4 U” was the fourth single from Aaliyah’s self-titled third album. It is a deeply soulful song co-written by Missy Elliott and Timbaland. The song climbed to #16 on the Billboard Hot 100 and reached #3 on the R&B chart.

11. “Rock the Boat” (2002)

Following a five-year hiatus between albums, Aaliyah returned in 2001 with her much anticipated self-titled album. “Rock the Boat” ultimately became a significant hit. The song displayed Aaliyah’s sensuality with suggestive, yet subtle, lyrics and her trademark seductive voice.

Unfortunately, “Rock the Boat” will forever remain a bittersweet moment in Aaliyah’s career, as she passed away in a plane crash after filming the accompanying music video in the Bahamas in 2001.

12. “Miss You” (2002)

“Miss You” was a song left behind when Aaliyah died tragically at the age of 22. The music video features clips from her earlier videos, as well as cameo tributes from a wide range of her friends and colleagues. “Miss You” reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100.

13. “Come Over” (2003)

“Come Over” was a song included on the album that Atlantic Records and Blackground released following Aaliyah’s passing. It featured her greatest hits, with a number of unreleased recordings mixed in. Written by the top musical geniuses paired with Aaliyah’s lush vocals, a beautifully composed beat, and lyrics that anyone could relate to,”Come Over” made for one of the more underrated songs in her catalog of hits.

Rest in Peace, babygirl. HCXO!

My name is Anissa Yone' Williams. I am a Graduating Communication & Marketing major at Valdosta State University, who has a passion for Entertainment, Journalism, and Music. Twitter: @_AnissaaAmor Snapchat:AnissaaAmor Instagram:_AnissaaAmor
Her Campus at Valdosta State.