This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Feminism has a been a hot topic in recent years, and has been a conversation around mutliple a circle in the collegiate world. Universities consistently speardhead the disucssion on social injustice and social issues in general. In our age of post-modern feminism (though some scholars would disagree) we have seen many more people become active in the conversation, some of which are men. Most men, however, do not value feminism as much as their women counterparts for they believe it’s message maybe does not affect them or perhaps men do not understand what feminism is. Feminism affects almost all facets of our lives whether we know it or not. Gender dynamics affect our socio-economic status, our perception of reality, and even our security, thus it seems in the best interest of all on the gender spectrum to want to understand feminism and continue the conversation in our minds.

I did not know if feminism was being thought about in male/men’s mind here on Valdosta State’s campus, so I went around and tried to figure out myself. I interviewed a few men on their thoughts about feminism, but instead of phrasing a broad question such as that, I asked three specific questions. My questions were: What do you think of feminism, is feminism beneficial or hurtful to society and what is man and woman to you? These questions and their subsequent answers helps us to understand where men’s understanding of gender equity and feminine identity. To protect the privacy of the men answering, I have changed their names and giving an answer to each question from a different man.

Tristan’s answer:

1. What do you think of feminism?

“It started off as an honest and nobale cause and on the surface it still appears that way but I feel like at this moment in time it is not necessary”

Steven’s answer:

2. Is feminism beneficial or hurtful to society?

“It can be hurtful I guess, but I do not think it hurts or benefits anyone. It’s just a title.

Justin’s answer:

3. What is man and woman to you?

“A human being, but like a man is someone who has a penis, and a woman has like ovaries and a vagina. That’s the diffference really.”

This a small sample of answers, and from what this we can see that feminism is still something that needs to be funneled toward men, for its greater implications are not being presented to them in any kind of formal or informal way. To say that feminism is not necessary at a same of rampent sexual violence towards men, both foreign and domestic, is asinine.

Feminism is more than a title, it is a benefits everyone who exists within (or not within) the gender spectrum and the ideas of masculinity and feminity are so strict, anyone not falling within these culturally constructed guidelines are shunned. Feminism benefits this, and men’s misunderstanding only proves that we feminists, should try more to push these conversations into the minds of men.

Travis Edwards was born in Tampa, Florida but has lived most of his life in the Metro Atlanta area. Travis is junior anthropology major and French language minor, whose interests include studying gender and sexuality, guitars, progressive rock/metal and jazz, videogames, feminism, and existentialism. Travis plans to become a university professor in Anthropology and Queer theory. Travis is vice president of Sociology club, Treasurer of Anthropology club, a current writer for hercampus, a former writer for The Odyssey, and is a post modern feminist, marxist, anti racist, progressive, queer supporting, cis African American male.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.