Natural Hair Girls: Top 5 Natural Hair Celebrity Icons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The best way for trends to catch on is through the media and what better way to get a woman’s attention than through beautiful and fashionable celebrities. Not only do their style, talent and femininity catch our attention but it’s their biggest accessory… their hair. These are my top five natural hair celebrity icons.

1. Teyonah Parris

Not only is her skin flawless and smile radiant but her hair speaks volumes all on its own. Known for her roles in movies such as Dear White People and appearances on award winning show Mad Men, Teyonah Parris is staking her claim in Hollywood and earning her right as an icon in the natural hair community with much body and versatility!

2. Solange Knowles

No longer is she just known as Beyonce’s little sister; Solange has earned her own name in many different industries such as fashion, music, art, and the natural hair community. Known for embracing individuality and stepping outside of the box, her hair is no exception. Whether she’s donning box braids, Havana twists, a mini afro, a turban, a luxurious natural sew-in, or even a low cut, Solange looks beautiful and carefree!

3. YaYa Dacosta

From the time we saw her on America’s Next Top Model we all knew that YaYa had something special to bring to the table. Although she didn’t win the competition, YaYa still went on to make a name for herself in the public eye, from modeling to acting. Not only did her career grow, but her hair followed suit. Gracing the red carpet in a beautiful side swept up-do or sporting an afro, YaYa glows on and off the screen and her hair goes on for days!

4. Janelle Monáe

Not only does her music step away from the norm her hair sets it own trend as well. A very vibrant and non-conforming artist, Janelle is known to sport a beautiful pompadour. With many different variations, not one strand is out of place even with all the moving and shaking she does on stage. Whether elegant, rock and roll, or hip Janelle inspires women to try something new with their hair while owning their individuality at the same time.

5. Erykah Badu

Known as a neo-soul musical goddess, Auntie E has transitioned from hair style to hair style over the years and never ceases to amaze the natural hair community with what she does next. From her eccentric hats, to hair color, to chopping all her hair off, there is nothing Ms. Badu hasn’t tried and owned which coincides with her personality on and off the stage. 

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.