This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Summer is always a nostalgic time of year for many of us. Some of the best memories and moments are created during this time! Whether you spent the summer swiping left and right on Tinder, or walked out on a leap of faith to become an A-List celebrity alongside Kim Kardashian, Summer 2014 was truly one for the books. Here, I have compiled the top 10 moments of summer 2014!

1. Tinder

Ahh, good ol’ Tinder. Many lonely summer nights were spent shamefully swiping left and right, hoping and praying co-workers and people you went to high school with would not come across your profile on there!

Whether you actually found “bae” or never spoke to your Tenderoni match ever again, Tinder was and probably will always be reliable for a few good laughs and awkward, questionable hookups; I mean, who takes that app personally anyway?!

2. Kim Kardashian: Hollywood

When Kim Kardashian announced via Instagram she would be releasing her own game available in the app store, everyone was like:

But on a slow summer day, you fooled around in the app store and with guilt, downloaded the game. And as time progressed, you suddenly forgot about your minimum wage job and said bye to Ramen noodles with each photoshoot and flight to Miami!

Before you knew it, you felt like you were really in Hollywood and you and KiKi were actual BFFs!

And who could forget that evil wretch Willow Pape?!

Face it, we all thought about moving to L.A. and testing the waters for a chance at becoming an A-List celebrity while playing this game!

3. Orange Is The New Black

As if Netflix wasn’t already sentimental enough for many of us, when Season 2 of OITNB premiered, our days and nights were spent binging on one of Netflix’s most highly anticipated series of the summer. Day in and day out, we watched our favorite characters unveil their stories of imprisonment, all while biting our nails, wondering if Piper would EVER be released.

P.S., Season 3 premieres June 6, 2015!

4. The World Cup

Everywhere you went, the World Cup was on every TV at almost every establishment you walked into. It was almost hard not to watch (not that watching hundreds of attractive men run around is that strenuous to watch)! The World Cup was definitely a moment that allowed fans across the globe to open-endedly express their overwhelming patriotism to their country.

5. Kermit The Frog

Kermit certainly stole the spotlight this summer and all he was doing was minding his business! Memes sprouted left and right showing the instigating frog calling people out on their messiness, but then digressing because it simply just wasn’t any of his business!

6. The NBA

Heat fans nationwide were more than certain their home team would take home the title of winning the 2014 Finals. They were in for a shock when they suffered a hard loss against the San Antonio Spurs.

And as if that loss wasn’t bad enough, Miami then lost arguably its most valuable player, Lebron James, who signed a contract with his home team, the Cleveland Cavaliers. Au Revoir, James.

7. Yoncé

There is never a dull moment in pop culture if Queen Bey is involved. Amid the On The Run Tour, fans questioned the stability of her and Jay’s marriage. Rumors were put to a halt as she nonchalantly posted Instagram pictures of the family together throughout their tour (which grossed more than $100 million in ticket sales!). 

Who could forget about “***Flawless Remix” with Nicki Minaj, either?!

8. Mustard On The Beat

DJ Mustard, 24-year-old DJ/Producer from L.A., undoubtedly won the music scene by producing some of the summer’s hottest hits which all had that recognizable “Cali-bounce” sound, such as Tinashe’s “2 On”, T.I. and Iggy Azalea’s “No Mediocre”, and Jeremih’s “Don’t Tell ‘Em” (just to name a few).

9. Shmoney Dance

20-year-old rapper Bobby Shmurda had everybody doing the “Shmoney Dance” this summer. The dance gained quick popularity on vine while being looped to any and every classic throwback you can think of!

10. ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Although it didn’t gain popularity until a little later in the summer, the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge took off like wildfire. ALS, which stands for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, is a disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. Although it’s been arguable whether or not people throwing ice cold water on their heads during a hot summer can really be seen as a “challenge” or beneficial to those affected, the ALS Association has nonetheless received over $70 million in donations! Not to mention, some of the videos are VERY entertaining. 

Until next time, Summer.

21 Mass Media Major at Valdosta State :)
Her Campus at Valdosta State.