Tips for Curlies: Avoiding Frizz on Humid Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

One of the hardest things to achieve for natural curlies is frizz-free hair on humid and rainy days. Your hair can look completely flawless before you leave the house, and almost immediately after you step outside, your hair transforms into a ball of frizz, ruining your perfrect hairstyle and leading to a less than perfect day. Here are several ways to avoid frizz on days when the weather doesn’t want to be your friend.

1. Wash your conditioner out with cold water.

Many people tend to wash their hair with hot water only. Hot or warm water causes the pores in your scalp to expand, making it easier to clean out any dirt and dandruff that’s clogging up your pores. But, this also causes you to strip your hair of natural oils and other good things that keep your hair healthy, shiny and frizz free. When you condition your hair, you want to obtain moisture and lock in all of the nutrients and other good things that keep your hair smooth and shiny. The best way to do this is to wash out your conditioner with cold water, that way you “seal” in moisture making your hair smooth and helping you combat frizz throughout the day.

2. Avoid “playing” in your hair too much.

Whether you are doing a wash and go, or taking down a twist- out, it is imperative that you manipulate your hair as little as possible. Combing, teasing, shaking your hair, etc– all of these things already cause frizz, but it will only get worse once you step into a humid area. Avoid touching your hair excessively, and no combing! Combing can be considered a big no-no in the natural community anyway, but combing your curls out on a humd day is asking for disaster. Gently pull your hair apart with your fingers, and if you must comb through your hair, do so with your fingers. Remember the less you mess with your hair, the better your chances of avoiding that awful frizz.

3. Use protective styles on humid and rainy days

Sometimes, it is just a good idea to put your hair up into a protective style. Protective styles will help you avoid too much manipulation, and it will ultimately protect your hair from  the humidity. Halo braids or twists, high buns, and other updos are a great way to keep your hair neat and smooth. 

4. Apply oils to your hair to help fight frizz.

Oils help seal in moisture, but they also help leave your hair shiny and smooth. Certain oils, like coconut oil, have properties that fight frizz. Applying an oil before and after you style your hair will help ensure that you have a frizz-free day. Also, using certain anti-frizz haircare products while you style your hair can help combat the frizzies as well!

Hopefully, you find these tips helpful the next time you are preparing for a rainy day. Remember, moisture and low manipulation are two very important components to combatting frizz. Rainy, humid days can be disappointing sometimes, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a fabulous hair day.

Hey lovelies! I am a junior Mass Media major at Valdosta State University. I love writing, fashion and hair, and dancing and singing in the mirror!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.