#TBT: 5 Reasons Why Martin is One of The Best Sitcoms of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Martin was one of Fox Network’s highest-rated shows during the 90s with its five-season run. Throughout the years, this sitcom gave its audience constant comedy that would send anyone into endless laughter. Here are 5 reasons proving why Martin is one of the best shows of all time!

1. The chemistry between the hilarious cast members: 

The main cast all brought different personalities to the show that contrasted well with Martin’s over-the-top personality, which usually sparked countless jokes. Gina was Martin’s wife. Stupid Cole Brown and no job having Tommy Strawn were Martin’s two best friends. Pamela James was Gina’s best friend and usually the butt of all of Martin’s jokes.  

2. Martin mastered playing multiple characters.

Outside of playing himself as the lead character, Martin played many side characters that often stole the spotlight. He was one of the first men to dress up as a woman and play hysterical characters like his ghetto, loud-mouthed neighbor, Sheneneh Jenkins or his wild, over-protective mother, Mama Payne.

Martin also played other legendary characters like Roscoe the snot-nosed kid, Otis the security guard, Dragonfly Jones, Elroy the mechanic, and Bob from marketing. And who could forget Jerome, “the playa from the Himalayas”?!

3. Martin had numerous and amazing special guests that everyone loved:

You could always expect Martin to have a special guest on his show. From actors like Richard Pryor, Billy Dee Williams, Keith Washington and Chris Rock to entertainers like Snoop Dogg, Yo-Yo, Method Man, Jodeci and even Biggie! Who can forget the episode when Martin ruined Jodeci’s performance on the Varnel Hill show?!

4. Martin and Gina’s idolized relationship:

Although they both went through countless break-ups and make-ups throughout the series, their genuine love provided a complement to the show’s constant comedy.

5. Episodes & phrases of Martin will never get old.

No matter what time it is, what mood you are in, or how many times you have seen an episode of Martin, any episode will fill you up with laughter and put you in a better mood! Almost everyone on the cast had popular phrases they used that made the audience members laugh every time they heard it.

Who can forget Cole’s “Rent-A-Spoons” idea or everyone reminding Tommy that he “ain’t got no job!” in almost every episode? Let’s not forget Martin’s infamous greeting, “Wazzzzup!” and the rude way he kicks everyone out his house by saying “get to stepping!”. Think about it like this: two decades have passed since the show began and people are still talking about how they “can’t pay the five”!

Laughter, quick-witted banter, and lots of love made this series one to last forever. Even though the show was cancelled over a decade ago, re-runs still air in syndication in most major U.S. cities and also air daily on TV One and MTV2. If you haven’t watched an episode of Martin, you ‘ve missed out on years of true comedy!

My name is Anissa Yone' Williams. I am a Graduating Communication & Marketing major at Valdosta State University, who has a passion for Entertainment, Journalism, and Music. Twitter: @_AnissaaAmor Snapchat:AnissaaAmor Instagram:_AnissaaAmor
Her Campus at Valdosta State.