Summer Protective Styles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

For girls with natural hair, protective styles can be a true life saver. Not only do these styles protect your natural curls from the wear and tear of weather and everyday life, but it also makes styling your hair fun and simple. Needless to say with Georgia’s summertime heat approaching it is time for my natural ladies to decide on the perfect protective style for this summer! There are tons of protective styles available for natural girls to try, but these are some of the easiest and most common.

Marley Twists

Marley Twists will make your life a lot easier this summer. You can wear skinny twists or chunky twists.  They are a super cute style and you can wear them many different ways depending on how you feel. Twists easily go in a bun, a high ponytail, a low ponytail, you can do just about anything with this style! Another great thing with this hairstyle is that the extensions blend well with natural hair so the older it is the better it looks.

Box Braids

Box Braids are a classic in the natural hair community. From Brandy famously rocking the style on Moesha to Solange wearing them on a day to day basis. This style can be worn short or long, skinny or chunky, and it looks great no matter how it is styled. This hairstyle can be worn many different ways just like marley twists. 

Crochet Braids

Crochet braids have become popular over the past few months, and would be the perfect hairstyle during summer break. It isn’t as hard to maintain like a sew-in. Also, since this style utilizes marley hair it looks great even as it begins to age.

Goddess Braids

Goddess Braids are perfect for ladies that might participate in the nightlife over their break. Goddess Braids are simple, but elegant and can dressed up for any occasion. This style can be accomplished Kanekelon Hair or Marley depending on your preference and hair type. 

Faux Locs

Faux Locs are perfect for every natural girl. Much like Marley Twists this hairstyle looks great even as it ages. Since faux locs mimic regular locs that older it gets the more natural it begins to look. It is really easy to look super casual or regal with faux locs. This style can be accomplsihed with Marley Hair, Yarn, or Kaneklon Hair. 

Genie Locs

Genie Locs a.k.a Yarn Braids are a cute and creative protective style. This style is exactly like box braids except you would be accomplishing this style with yarn instead of synthetic braiding hair. Much like Marley Twists this style is versatile and can be worn skinny or chunky. With Genie Locs it is super important to keep your hair moisturized especially during summer months.

HCXO!

Toni Miles is a Mass Media Major with aspirations of writing, producing her own documentaries, and directing short films in the future. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.