“Strolling”: The Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The amount of interesting things you can find on Tumblr is crazy. You can find anything from cookie recipes to inspirational outfit ideas. In my case, I found a new online series to watch. The web series Strolling was created by Cecile Emeke— a British director, writer, and artist. The series first started in London in which she would follow young black artist around town while they speak to her on different issues around the world and within the black community. Since then, the series has now expanded to three other countries: France, Netherlands, and Italy. These young artist talk about what it is like to be black in these European countries.

London

Many touched on the topic of how their European heritage is ignored because they are black, even if they were born in Europe. One young lady spoke on how it is hard to identify with something in Europe. In the United States, African-Americans have made their own culture but in Europe they have not done so yet. Some identify with African-American culture more than their Africans roots.

Flâner (France) 

Another women talked about the lack of make-up products for darker complexioned women in Europe. A point was brought up that Lupita Nyong’o was the spokesperson for Lancôme makeup, but yet they don’t even carry her color in most countries. Other topics were brought up in the discussions like the importance of reading, male feminist, colorism, mental health, sexual expression and much more!

Wandelen (Netherlands)

Strolling is kind of a platform for everyday people to make their voices heard with these topics. I really connected with the series. I’ve always wondered about afro-Europeans and their experiences. The interviews were very eye-opening and definitely made me think a little bit deeper on certain social issues. 

Passeggiando (Italy) 

Check out all four of Cecile Emeke’s series on her YouTube  and follow her on Twiiter, Facebook, Instagram and Tumblr @cecileemeke

HCXO! 

Hello! I'm Erika and I'm a Mass Media and French major. I love to read, write, and listen to music! 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.