This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Both, incoming freshmen and vetted college seniors, go through the struggle of trying to maintain clear skin with not only the stress of an oncoming semester, but the sweltering resonance of summer. At some point, we all have to grin and bear it as we make the trek to class. Here are a few simple tips that will fit right into the everyday skin care routine of everyone so that we may all prosper in the longevity of clear healthy skin.

1. Golden Rule

We all know the golden rule that we should NEVER and I do mean NEVER go to bed with makeup on. Makeup prevents the skin from being able to breath at night and can result in terribly clogged pores, which leads to blemishes and black heads. For those of us living in subtropical climates I would recommend adding a morning wash to start you day off fresh and clean. Tip: apply a toner before heading out to minimize oil).

2.  Scrub It Away

Exfoliation is indispensible ladies. At least 2-3 times a week you should exfoliate to remove layers of dead skin and restore your natural glow.

3. Treat Yo’ Self

At least once a week take the time to alleviate some stress with a facemask! Have you ever noticed the more stressed out you are the more your skin breaks out? Take a break, pick a day of the week where you can escape the stress and do some healing of mind and body.

4. Moisturize

Rather than slathering and smearing on moisturizer before bed, try massaging it into your skin with circular motions and gentle pressure. This simple trick is perfect for after washing to restore smooth bright skin.

5. Wear Less Makeup

For those of us who cannot go without toting a beautifully slayed masterpiece, trust me I understand. You don’t have to give it up entirely but narrow your routine down to the essentials and leave the rest for a good night out. Be careful about those trips to the bathroom to touch up your makeup. The more layers of makeup you add, the less your skin can breathe, and the more likely sweat will get trapped between your skin and your makeup, in turn clogging your pores. 

HCXO!

Tayla Means is a PR Girl working to get her Bachelors in communication at Valdosta State University. When she's not overwhelmed with the duties of senior year, she likes to take time out to enjoy the company of good friends in the great outdoors. This Ohio native, aspires to work in Brand Management and Hospitatlity from a location that feeds into her passion for travel and adventure. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.