Natural Hair Girls: Straightening Natural Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.
Many women have started embracing their natural hair texture, which is great! Although it’s been around for a long time, over the past couple of years it’s gained popularity for its healthy reputation. Since natural hair’s rise to fame, more and more tutorials have come out to help guide women through their journey.

Although there are women that are embracing their natural texture, there are still some that want that relaxed look, yet healthy feel. The question still lingers: is it possible to have straight, healthy, and natural hair? I’m here to tell you it is!

Let’s start with common misconceptions: heat to your hair is just as detrimental as relaxer. That’s wrong. Excessive heat to your hair is just as detrimental as relaxer. While it may feel voluminous as you run your fingers through it after the third press in one week, you may be damaging your hair. Heat in your hair, even if it’s just once a week, is more than enough. The longevity of your press depends on the proper care you take before you go to sleep, step in the gym, get in the shower, and venture off into the humidity. 

Another misconception is that women who wear their natural hair straight aren’t really embracing the natural hair community. Versatility is fun and whether someone chooses to rock a twist out or whip their silk out shouldn’t separate them from the masses. Change it up!

Now for some straightened natural hair care:
  • If you’re anything like a lot of girls trying to grow their hair out, you dread getting a trim. But for any texture, it’s so important if you want healthy hair. Dead ends are dead weight. Let them go because it’ll be back before you know it!
  • A proper wash is crucial for a silky press. Usually a clarifying shampoo and a moisture retention gets the job done. Remember to never put heat in your hair if your wash is older than a week. Heat on top of oily hair can damage the cuticle and prevent growth.
  • Deep conditioning is also very important. It stimulates your roots, along with a 30-minute steam treatment. This locks in hydration, especially with this summer heat approaching, diminishes dandruff, and reduces the amount of heat you have to use when it’s time to straighten.
  • One of the many benefits of the natural hair lifestyle is not having to sit under the dreaded dryer for hours. A handheld dryer with a comb attachment or blow drying with a paddle brush works fine.
  • Once you’re done blow drying make sure to always apply a heat protectant.
  • Once it’s dry you’re ready to begin straightening. The degree of heat depends on how thick your hair is. Use a lower degree for finer hair and work your way up for thicker hair. Anything higher than 400 may be too hot. For a silkier finish the chaise method works best. Section your hair and use one hand to hold the flat iron and the other with a fine tooth comb. Comb through a small section immediately followed by your flat iron. Continue doing this until all your hair is straight. 
While these methods may not be everyone’s idea of basic hair care, the fun in going natural is all in the trial and error. What works for someone else may not work for you. Whether you’re transitioning or already there, there’s no harm in straightening your natural hair. It can be healthy, versatile, and makes for a great hair flip to anyone who says otherwise!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.