This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Sometimes, being someone who cares too much or cares too deeply can really take a toll mentally especially when it is not returned or it is returned in a negative way. I’m here to tell you to stop letting people knock you down repeatedly. Stop letting people use their sharp words to cut at you. Stop letting people treat you in a way you would never treat them. At the end of the day, the person on the other end could just be a temporary fill in your life. They could just be there for a short amount of time. If they’re toxic, do not feel obliged to keep them around. People do not realize how hurtful words can be and how easy it is to play off words like it did not have an effect. Hurtful jokes can be brushed off at the moment, but later, it could cross that person’s mind like it’s on rewind. 

At the end of the day, you could always be there for someone, but if respect and common courtesy is thrown out the door, they are not worth your time and energy. Silly, they are not worth your tears and your moping. There’s so much going on around you constantly that you do not need to add a parasitic friendship or relationship to the list. Stop being a doormat for someone, and start thinking about how you deserve better. Yes, it’s so easy to constantly run back and do favors for this person or be there when they are down emotionally. I’m not saying to stop being there in order to spite them. It’s just time to let go and think about yourself for once. It’s draining when you’re constantly worrying about everyone around you but yourself. At the end of the day, truthfully, you have yourself and yourself only if everyone else leaves. So, work on building your own foundation and your happiness before you add people to your train of happiness. Happiness and self-acceptance comes from within. It does not stem from other people. They can add to it, but they cannot build it. 

Someone who constantly insults you or manipulates you to their advantage is not a healthy thing. When they come into your life to ask something of you, but then fall back into the old habits of harsh words or mentally and emotionally abusing you, it’s time to grab your behind and run the other way. You do not exist for someone to knock you down. There are plans for you. There are better things for you than something like this that’s holding you back from feeling loved and accepted. For any toxic person, there are probably two or three others that are better for your life. Stop thinking it’s you that is at fault. The way someone treats you says a lot about them, not you. 

“So, stop letting people who do so little for you, control so much of your mind, feelings and emotions.” – Unknown

HCXO

Sylvia Leong is a mass media major at Valdosta State University hoping to achieve her goal of securing a job in sports broadcasting. This Georgia peach loves all shades of blue, football season, and charming her way with sarcasm. Follow on Instagram and Twitter: svia96
Her Campus at Valdosta State.