A Reflection on Growing Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

As kids, we were always looking forward to being older. There were many things we wished we could do. We often heard our parents mention, “You can do that when you’re older,” or “That’s for adults.” We viewed adults with an association to freedom. We were eager to grow up. Maybe a little too eager.

Now, that time is now. We have grown up. The only thing I wish I could do is be little again. There’s a reason everyone around us told us to not grow up too fast. We could not possibly comprehend and understand what they meant. We were naïve, just as we should be. Our age was as little as the knowledge we had of what it meant to grow up. We wanted to grow up so we could do what grown ups could do. Why would we not want to grow up? There was so much to look forward to. Quite frankly, growing up is not like I pictured. As a child, we are exposed to the idea of love. We are exposed to freedom and the idea of achieving our dreams. What we were not exposed to was what it took to achieve all that. No one told us of the heartbreak and the rejection. No one told us that not everyone in the world is going to care and love you as much as you love them. Sometimes, efforts will not be returned, and some efforts will go unnoticed. No one told us how harsh the world can be. No one mentioned that with the good, comes the bad. Certainly, they failed to tell us that we will fall and stumble many times along the way.

During our path to adulthood, we struggled to find who we are and what defines us. Identity became a question, and the future became our main purpose. For some, life has been good to them. For others, the light inside slowly died, and they became a victim to a darkness. Now that I have grown up, I have an understanding of reality. Reality is, we live in a world where we have to survive. The feelings of warmth and comfort we experienced as kids does not come around as often. However, it becomes something to cherish when it does come around. As children, we did not realize how small our problems were. We no longer focus on what’s tangible. We focus on how we feel and the way we make others feel. That’s what growing up is.

Yes, we are aging. Yes, we have much more on our plates. However, what we did not have as kids is knowledge. Knowledge and the ability to understand how the world works, our role in this world, and what we can achieve is enough to make me appreciate being an adult. As adults, we have control. We have a purpose. We have freedom. Best of all, just like when we were kids, we have the ability to imagine our future. We will always have something to look forward to.  

HCXO!

Sylvia Leong is a mass media major at Valdosta State University hoping to achieve her goal of securing a job in sports broadcasting. This Georgia peach loves all shades of blue, football season, and charming her way with sarcasm. Follow on Instagram and Twitter: svia96
Her Campus at Valdosta State.