To Pimp A Butterfly vs. Untitled/Unmastered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

When TDE said that one of their artist would be putting some new material out I was not expecting it to be ANOTHER Kendrick album. Not just a song but a full album. When it dropped I was surrounded by true Kendrick fans. The responses were between shocked, excited, and confused. I just stopped listening to TPAB on a daily basis and now I have another album to bump for 6 months!

I’ve never doubted Kendrick but I was a little skeptical of a new album. Don’t get me wrong I’m thankful for the album but Kendrick doesn’t seem like the artist to drop projects all the time like other artist out here. He seems like the type to take his time with his masterpieces. I was in a state of glee when the album dropped that it didn’t register with me that these songs didn’t make it to TPAB. After listening to both I understand why.

Kendrick has always been a story teller. He had the power to make you feel like you’re in the back seat while he was headed to see Shrane. That’s why I fell in love with hip hop. I enjoy the tales told by a lyrics and how they take me on a journey.

Starting off with TPAB, the album is exactly what I was waiting on. There was funk, there was jazz, there was soul, there was art.  Many were shocked by the album. Some said it wasn’t what they wanted or expected. I had to understand quickly that every artist must grow and change but for Kendrick he blossomed and morphed with the album.

Since the beginning, Kendrick has always showed a picture but with TPAB you have to listen to album several times to get a clear view. Your view might be different than another but it’s all about what message you get out of it. For me I feel like this album was for black people. Just like Beyoncé’s Formation. This album confronts the social issues that we did with and even describes us indirectly.

In “For Free?” this girl is yelling about how her man is nothing and that he can easily be replaced. I always see this on the internet and even in movies. It’s something our community is used to. At the end of “I” a fight breaks out that is sadly something that often happens at events held by blacks. He speak about institutionalization within our society because we widely affected by it. In “u” I interpret this song that has to do with suicide which is not touched by the black community. Its taboo to some but it’s a real problem that people face daily.

“Alright” was the perfect song for the times right now. No matter what we are going through we will be okay. We needed to hear that. We are strong people and we can stay strong and stick together. I loved “Complexion (A Zulu Love)” because colorism has temporarily ruined our community but this song shows that we are all beautiful and it doesn’t mean a thing.

To Pimp A Butterfly was for the people by the people. We needed something that uplifts and encourages. Now, with Untitled/Unmastered I feel like this album was a continuation of TPAB but with a deeper songs. After listening to TPAB I figured out and discussed the meaning behind it. With U/U I feel like this album speaks on the overall issue of society but it is not just for US. TPAB hit home for me while U/U was more of an overall idea. Also, the songs were more in depth and not as easy to rip apart.

Untitled/ Unmastered to me seems like a personal project versus TPAB being for the black community. This album was very raw and open. I can see why these songs did not go onto TPAB. It fits but at the same time it doesn’t. The albums have the same ideas but the feels are different. U/U had more bangers on it which is one complaint I heard when TPAB came out. Many people wanted TPAB and U/U to be like Good Kid, Mad City. After I listened to Good Kid, Mad City I knew his next couple of albums would evolve to this. He was already speaking about issues but it was based in Compton. We were on the outside looking in on his experience versus now we feel where he is coming from. So, the question is which one did you like better? 

HCXO!

Hello! I'm Erika and I'm a Mass Media and French major. I love to read, write, and listen to music! 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.