free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Natural Hair Girls: Sumyr Boudreaux

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Sumyr Boudreaux

Classification: Junior

Major: Chemistry

HC: How long have you been natural?

SB: I’ve been transitioning since my junior year of high school, but I would say I wasn’t completely natural until my freshman year of college. My curls are still a work in progress, though.

HC: How would you describe your hair texture?

SB: My hair consists of all different types of curls. I’m not too big on putting my hair into a type, but just to get a clearer picture, I’d say I have a majority of 3c curls.

HC: What is your favorite or most convenient hairstyle?

SB: As of now, the wash-and-go is the most convenient for me. I can just wash my hair, put the products in my hair that I need and go!

HC: Name some of your staple products. Shampoo, conditioner (deep), leave-in, etc…

SB: I absolutely swear by EcoStyler gel! If I don’t have anything else in my cabinet, I will definitely have some EcoStyler gel. I also love Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, and some new products that I’m liking are Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner and Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle.

HC: What is a wash day like for you?

SB: My wash days always switch up! However, on a typical wash day I start by co-washing my hair with some of my Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. I will wash most of it out, but I will typically add a bit more in before I add in my leave-in conditioner. While my hair is still pretty wet, I’ll add in my Giovanni Direct Leave-In or Mixed Chicks. Then, the last thing I’ll add in is my EcoStyler gel section by section. The gel is what gives my hair the most definition and hold.

HC: What are some of the most common problems you face when styling your hair? How do you combat these issues?

SB: The most common problem I face when styling my hair, especially when it is straightened, is battling the humidity. This Valdosta humidity is something else and my hair completely does its own thing out in this heat, so keeping it looking the way I want to while it’s straightened is very difficult.

HC: What are two dos and don’ts when it comes to your hair?

SB: Some dos are to keep my hair moisturized; deep conditioning my hair is a must! My hair also loves protein treatments. I normally like to use the Aphogee Two Step Protein Treatment packs every month. Some don’ts would have to be the usage of heat on a consistent basis. Using heat will completely alter my curls when overly used, so I try to stay away from it as much as possible.

HC: Is there anything you want to try on your hair that is out of your comfort zone?

SB: A popping color! It’s not that coloring my hair a different color or even a blue, red, or purple is so much out of my comfort zone. It’s more of how I would go about it while preventing any heat damage. But I don’t know… There may be a new hair color for me in the near future. 

HC: How does your hair make you feel?

SB: As cliché as it sounds, since I went natural and wearing it in its curly state, my hair has made me feel more liberated and free. The natural hair community has grown vastly over the past few years and I’m just so glad that I can go on YouTube or Google and find so many other beautiful women with all different types of hair textures.

HC: Any words of advice to ladies with the same hair type as you?

SB: Some words of advice I have to all curly girls are simply to embrace your curls!

HC: Who are your hair inspirations?

SB: I absolutely LOVE Sierra (IG: senusualsierra) and Alyssa’s (IG: foreverflawlyss) curls! They both have beautiful curls that make me want to take the best care of my own hair and curls. They are also both on YouTube. @Sensual Sierra and @Alyssa Forever.

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.