Natural Hair Girls: Henna Hair Color Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

I don’t do a lot of experimenting with my hair because all I want it to do is grow, which it does, but lately I’ve wanted to try something new like coloring it. I’ve heard about all the horror stories of dying one’s hair and facing damage and constant cuts.

I didn’t want to have to deal with any cons that might stand in the way of my growth, so I started doing my research and came across the beauty of henna. Many people know henna as being a dye that you can creatively decorate your skin with, but it is also a great hair conditioner and dye as well!

After doing my research, I found that henna can balance hair porosity and the amount of water your hair can hold (moisture), reduce and eliminate dandruff, strengthen strands, cause less damage, and smooth hair cuticles to give it a healthier appearance. It also thickens hair, promotes growth due to antifungal properties, and potentially loosens the curl pattern.

I’m very much a part of #TeamHealthyHair and there are many benefits, so I decided to try henna on my hair about a month ago. I bought the brand Reshma in the color burgundy from Sally’s Beauty Supply store. The young man that worked there suggested I use a conditioner that caters to color-treated hair since I was attempting to dye my hair, so I also bought ION Color Solutions deep daily conditioner which is paraben free and 100% vegan!

I mixed two boxes of henna, two packets of the conditioner, two tablespoons of organic coconut oil together in a bowl, and let it sit for 24 hours to release the dye.

To apply the henna, I parted my hair in four sections while wearing gloves. I then raked the henna through my hair, making sure every strand was coated. The process can be messy so it’s recommended that you lay newspaper down on the floor to prevent from staining it, but I applied mine in the bathtub (easy clean up)!

I covered my hair with a shower cap for about two hours, and then shampooed and conditioned my hair as usual. I did not deep condition my hair afterward because too much protein can cause damage to the hair, such as brittle strands and breakage!

I will admit, while washing the henna out, my entire shower was an auburn-red color. It took a couple washes to get it out, but my curls were popping so it was worth it! The only part of my hair that I could see colored were the few grey hairs I had that are now a burgundy color. For the rest of my hair, it’s still dark brown unless I stand in the sunlight where a slight tint can be seen.

As far as the other benefits, my hair was softer. My hair feels thicker already and it looks shiny and healthy. My curl pattern is still the same, 4b (if I had to categorize). It’s suggested that if you want to see results and even changes in hair color that you apply a henna every 2-4 weeks. I would definitely try henna again for the conditioning and dying purposes, but in between I’m sticking to my natural hair masks and deep cholesterol conditioning treatments!

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.