MTV Video Music Awards Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

This year, The MTV Video Music Awards took place at the Forum in Inglewood, California. As an Inglewood native, this was quite a surprise! The Forum has become such a fantastic place over the yearsbut let’s get to the stuff you care about! With Jay Pharoah as the host, this award’s show proved to be another one to remember!

Performances:

This year, there were a spectacle of performances from various artists, ranging from hip-hop nominees to pop singers.

Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj both had solo performances at the beginning of the show leading into a collaboration performance including Jessie J. They performed their single “Bang Bang,” which awed the audience (minus Nicki’s wardrobe malfunction!).

Taylor Swift performed her latest song “Shake It Off” and was literally shakingwe see she’s got some new moves there!

Sam Smith gave an emotional and heartfelt performance with his single “Stay with Me” which nearly brought himself and the audience to tears.

Usher and Nicki Minaj performed their song “She Came to Give It to You.” This performance was fun, and Usher and Nicki weren’t shy of each other, might I add!

5 Seconds of Summer performed their song “Amnesia.” I spy a new boy band on the rise!

Iggy Azalea and Rita Ora performed “Black Widow.” With their matching outfits and different tones in voice, this performance was the perfect mix!

The cameras then transitioned outside where Maroon 5 gave a live performance of a couple of their songs in the beautiful setting sun.

Last but not least, of course we have Beyoncé, who performed a medley of her entire album, Beyoncé.

Although her performance was spectacular, the most beautiful part was when Blue Ivy and Jay Z joined her on stage for kisses! Perhaps the cutest thing of the night!

Journalist, Writer, Mother and Wife. Passionate about travel and alternative/indie music. English and Journalism graduate at Valdosta State University as of May 2017. Follow me on twitter: GenevaCrooks_ Add me on Facebook: Geneva Rena'
Her Campus at Valdosta State.