Miss Phi Beta Sigma Scholarship Pageant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The third annual Miss Phi Beta Sigma Scholarship Pageant was held on October 28th. This pageant is held every fall semester and gives women around campus the opportunity to be crowned Miss Phi Beta Sigma and receive a $500 scholarship. This year it was hosted by John Herbert III one of the Kool Kappa Deltas brothers of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. and Adrianna Smalls, one of the so sweet women from Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. The theme chosen for this year was movies and there were five beautiful contestants, including myself, who brought different personalities to this pageant. With talents ranging from singing in French to painting and movie themes ranging from Musicals to Disney, choosing a queen was much harder due to such variety. The contestants were judged by four sections of the pageant: the introduction, sportswear, talent, and the evening gown section. The judges were Benjamin Magaha, Latessa Rivers, Carla Jordan, Rebecca Taylor, and Joseph Risby.

From left to right: Kiaire Duclos, Leslie Hardimon, Sabrina Romain, Alaina Alcock, and Marlaina Williams.

This pageant had other highlights including a sign language performance and an emotional final walk from last year Miss Phi Beta Sigma, Austin Smith. Light refreshments of cake and juice, kept everyone occupied while the judges decided. When the judges made their decisions each contestant was escorted on stage by a gentlemen from the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. Marlaina Williams was crowned Miss Phi Beta Sigma, with three trophies for talent, sport wears, and the evening gown! Sabrina Romain received the title of Miss Blue and White, with a trophy and sash for presentation for her Disney theme. Alaina Alcock received the title of Miss Kappa Delta along with a sash and I received the title of Miss Sigma Spirit. 

Altogether, $2,000 was raised in ad and ticket sales and all the proceeds went towards the scholarship, decorations for the pageant, and different charities. Overall this pageant amazing bonding experience that helps develop women that will embody the principles of self-confidence and self-worth. Also to publicly recognize women who have obtained personal, professional, and community achievements, while providing a unique opportunity to obtain scholarships awards. Some people had the chance to meet the new Miss Phi Beta Sigma queen at the Blue and White events like the cookout that was Thursday by the Education building and the Hall vs. Hall Stroll Off the following day in the Student Union, but here’s a short bio about the queen.

Marlaina “Marlie” Williams is a Senior Mass Media Major and African-American Studies Minor. She enjoys editing and shooting videos for her own leisure. Marlie enjoys helping the community and is very involved with campus. She is a part of Media Arts Geniuses (MAG), she mentors young girls, and she is one the radio personalities on Valdosta’s new Hip Hop and R&B station 107.9 The Beat. Congratulations to Marlie and the other contestants. Special thanks to everyone who helped with the pageant, especially our pageant mom’s!

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.