Michaela’s Artist Spotlight: Maya Newsome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

VSU junior Maya Newsome has been performing poetry for 5 years now. She is a regular performer at Open Mic Night with her fellow Deep Release Poetry Society members and has even self-published her own book of poems, titled Things I Wrote By the Window. On the 26th of this month she will be celebrating her book release at Grassroots Coffee House in downtown Valdosta.

Maya allows conversations, books and other poets to inspire her. She believes, “Art is all about perspective, that’s why it’s important to listen to other people.” She uses her poems to empower as well as challenge others by her words. She is on a mission to make people feel like they matter and that they are capable of doing impactful and meaningful things. “I want them to leave feeling uplifted but also I want them to start thinking, challenging, and questioning.”

Maya has received excellent feedback from her book. As of now, she is almost sold out of the first prints. “It truly humbles me and it literally baffles me sometimes how much people do support me.” She holds the book dear to her heart and is eager that it is being shared with so many people. There will be books available to purchase at the book release celebration!

Don’t miss your chance to see Maya perform! She will be performing at the next Open Mic Night and at the Deep Release Poetry Society 2nd annual poetry showcase on November 18th. 

You can listen to her poetry here: http://poemswrittenbymaya.bandcamp.com

To purchase “Things I Wrote By The Window” : http://thingsiwrotebythewindow.tumblr.com

Michaela Leung is the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Valdosta State. She is an honors student studying Mass Media and working on a Cross-Training Certificate in Journalism at Valdosta State University with aspirations to be a music journalist and a news anchor. This New York native enjoys fashion, all kinds of music, socializing, making people laugh and standing up for what is right. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: michaelaskrunk
Her Campus at Valdosta State.