This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

It seems overly simplified to suggest someone leaves to forget the past, drop the burdens of the future, and live in the present. That is because that would be too overly simplified. People often get stuck whether it is forward or backward. Sometimes, this whole idea can be too big to even think about. No one ever likes the idea of admitting to the possibility that he or she has not been living life in the most fulfilling way possible. Unfortunately, putting letters on paper and having a full-on conversation are two entirely different things.

Letting go of the past. What’s done is done and there is nothing that can change that. The only thing to do once something has occurred, is to deal with it in one way or another. If an unfavorable event occurs, do what you can to redeem the present situation. However, do not expect it to alter the past. Once the moment passes and it is no longer in the present, it is time for acceptance. Find a way to accept the action done by you or someone else, make peace with it. If nothing else, seek understanding of the past. Just know that nothing you may do will change anything other than the present. While that may seem negative, it is quite relieving to know that in any circumstance, you hold the power to change what the current moment is like.

Future anxiety. It comes and it goes, sometimes worse or better than others. That never-ending stream of thoughts questioning about the uncertainty of what is to come. Job, relationship, social-standing and so many more life-changing elements are always up in the air. We can’t spend each of our precious moments full of worry about something that has not even happened yet. The game of “What If” is a dangerous, fatal in fact. So much energy can be wasted when our minds get lost in what has yet to come. While it is understandable, it is also unhealthy once the worry reaches a certain level. It goes without saying that a certain amount of consideration and thought needs to go into planning and life decisions so that we can maintain a successful lifestyle.

The idea is that if we are living in any other time than now, there are precious moments that may be thrown away. Let yesterday be yesterday and tomorrow be tomorrow. Make your life have the level of quality that you expect from it. Create your own standards and work towards them. Live for the moments of love, laughter, and happiness. Explore, adore and appreciate.

HCXO.

Alex is an easy going and bubbly person who has a passion for all things creative. She is pursuing a degree in Psychology at Valdosta State University and loving her experiences along the way. Instagram & Twitter: alex_gmann
Her Campus at Valdosta State.