prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Life of a Communication Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

If there’s one major that gets overlooked, its communication. No one seems to really understand what exactly it is that we do other than talk but there’s so much more.

1. Partying

What we’re actually doing: Networking

Communication majors like to have fun, but what seems like partying to most is just typical conversations for us. We never meet a stranger and that’s because we often push outside of our comfort zone and make friends. If we have learned anything, it’s not what you know it’s who you know, which is why we can cover half the room at a party in 30 minutes and gain about 10 new followers on Twitter and Instagram. You never know who the next Bill Gates, Beyoncé, or Tom Brady will be, but chances are we probably know them and they know us.

2. Spacing out

What we’re actually doing: Thinking of theories

In order to respond you must listen and that’s exactly what Communication majors are doing even when it looks like we’re spaced out. When listening to a story they’re about 6 or 7 different theories running through our head, such as cognitive dissonance, role incongruity, agenda setting, a spiral of silence, narrative paradigm, etc. Basically, we’re doing our best to assess the situation and give you feedback in the proper manner…or we’re thinking about that 12-page term paper we haven’t started.

3. Always on the phone

What we’re actually doing: Making business moves

Sure, it seems that Communication majors are always glued to their phones but in reality, there’s a lot going on. We’re forever checking texts, GroupMe, Twitter, or Facebook, but trust me we’re just lining up our itinerary. At the end of the day, we have about 6 events lined up for the next month or so.

4. Talking about nothing

What we’re actually doing: Working on our speaking voice

We get it, you’re tired of hearing us talk and honestly, we’re tired of hearing ourselves talk too but it goes along with the major. Sometimes, we might drag out a story just to make sure we’re annunciating our words correctly or maybe we’re just testing out the pitch in our voice. We’re just trying to make sure that when it comes time to present that we’re ready.

5. “So what are you going to do with your degree?”

What we’re actually going to do: Everything

So many professions appreciate someone with a Communication degree since being able to effectively communicate is key in any job. I mean come on, there’s a whole show dedicated to our major, Scandal. Minus the whole covering up heinous crimes, Olivia Pope delivers exceptional press releases…that could be us someday. 

As finals approach and those research paper and presentations are due, just know as a Communications major it’s all worth it. You’re going to make it through. 

HCXO!

Rineta is a Speech Communication major at Valdosta State University, with an emphasis in public relations. She aspires to have a career in sports media relations one day. In her free time she enjoys binge watching shows written by Shonda Rimes on Netflix, reading professional athlete autobiographies and being the friend who laughs too much. Follow her- IG/Twitter: _rrainey
Her Campus at Valdosta State.