This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Dear College Freshman,

You did it! After four long gruesome years of high school you finally graduated, and made your way to college. One piece of advice I give to all freshman I come across is to make the best of your college experience. Take advantage of every opportunity you come across! The most important thing other than staying on top of your grades, is to get involved on campus. I cannot stress that enough! You need to be able to network and make connections with people. Those connections could help you possibly land an internship or a job in your desired field. Being involved on campus is more than just making career connections though, it’s a way to meet a group of amazing individuals such as yourself. These people eventually become some of the best and greatest friends you could ever ask for. Now that we discussed the things that happens on campus let’s talk about the off campus activities. Let’s be real when we leave our parents’ house we want to let loose and party. It’s only natural that we want to go out and enjoy ourselves with no restrictions or supervision. One of the best things about being in college is having complete and utter freedom. Well, now that you have the freedom you’ve been longing for, let’s discuss how to use it in a way to benefit you. Yes, I know you want to party especially in the beginning, but it’s important to know your limits. You can party, but not too much. Just enough for you to enjoy yourself! It’s so easy to get sucked into the stereotypes of what it means to be a freshman. Don’t fall behind in school; because once you do it’s so hard to pull yourself out of it. Remember what you came to college for and don’t lose sight of your goals! Make the best of your college experience, have fun, and don’t go overboard!

The next four or more years of your life are about some possible setbacks but more about growth. Get out there learn, live and enjoy college to its fullest!

Signed, 

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.