This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Men, we can’t live with them, and we can’t live without them. Sometimes, we get caught in a relationship, title or no title, that may have no hope at all–yet because with time we have grown to care and have feelings for this person letting go seems like our last option. 

After weeks and even months of getting to know a person, spending time, growing close to them and building a connection, how do we acknowledge that this relationship is heading nowhere?  One of the biggest characteristics of a dead end relationship is reoccurring conflict. Yes, in every relationship there is room for error but this does not mean that reoccurring conflict it is okay. In fact, when there is a reoccurring conflict that just seems to not go anywhere rather it puts your relationship in square one, which is a clear sign that the relationship isn’t making progress. A conflict such as communication, honesty, and anything that involves past relationships is a red flag.  When you begin to grow agitated and hopeless because no matter what approach you choose the conflict does not become better, this definitely a sign.  Letting a man become comfortable with making you upset is one of the worst mistakes you can make.

Letting go of the illusion that you and this person might become something bigger is an extremely difficult task to do. After all, you did spend time getting to know them, with all of the arguments and really specials moments between the two of you, it’s only human to not want to let go of this relationship. Remember, change is necessary.  The most important step in letting go is not progressing, from here take the necessary steps to let go.  It will take time, so be patient with yourself, give yourself time to cope, always love yourself more and put yourself first.

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.