I Started Working Out Twice a Day and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

As I sat watching the ball drop on New Year’s Eve, stuffing my face with chicken wings and fries, I had a revelation. I realized that Spring Break was only three months away, and my body was nowhere near bikini-ready. At that moment, I decided that 2017 would be the year I got back in shape for good. 

Fast forward to three weeks ago, when I started my new workout plan. I’ve been working out twice a day, six days a week. Here are a few things I realized since I started:

The first week is the hardest

I’ve always had a rocky relationship with the gym. If I can motivate myself to start working out, I have a hard time staying consistent. Forcing myself to workout in the morning and evening every single day was a challenge, but it get’s easier the longer you keep it up! After the first week, I was more motivated to workout, and I felt better doing it. 

Exercise without changing your diet is pointless

Apparently, your workout doesn’t count if you eat a whole cheesecake afterward (stupid, right?). Once I started exercising consitently, the next step was to change my diet. Of course, changing your diet isn’t something that happens overnight, but making small changes over time can encourage those workout results you’ve been striving for. Find healthy foods you enjoy, and start replacing those chicken nuggets with carrot sticks! 

Trying working out with friends

Working out with friends can be great motivation, and keep you from getting bored exercising alone. On days when you feel like skipping a workout, your friends can give you that extra push to head to the gym. Find a workout routine you and a friend can do together, and encourage eachother to push through!

It’s a great excuse to go shopping

This is probably my favorite part of my new workout routine. Since I’m hitting the gym daily, I need more workout clothes, which means I have another reason to head to the mall! Exercising on a regular basis opens you up to a whole new world of sports bras, leggings, and running shoes that you didn’t have an excuse to buy before! Some of my favorite workout brands are Nike, Victoria Sport, and Adidas. 

Treat yo’selfJust because I’m changing my lifestyle, doesn’t mean I don’t treat myself occasionally. I skip the gym at least one day a week, to let my body rest and catch up on my Netflix. I still enjoy my junk food and sweets in moderation, and I don’t feel so guilty when I do. Ice cream tastes so much better when you earn it!

HCXO!

Preyah James

Valdosta '18

Preyah is a senior studying briology and journalism at Valdosta State University. Originally from Riverdale, GA, Preyah is president and Campus Correspondant for VSU's chapter of Her Campus. When she's not studying for a genetics test, Preyah loves to cook, read and watch Game of Thrones. Post-graduation, she plans to pursue a career in science writing and journalism, hoping to work for National Geographic. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.