How To Transition Into Becoming a Vegan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

If you are considering transitioning into a vegan, there are a few steps to consider to help you along your way!

1. Educate Yourself

Before you decide to cut out or add any foods to your diet, it would be best to enlighten yourself on all things vegan. Changing your diet is not easy, especially when deciding to eliminate foods like meat. The most important thing to do when trying to become vegan is research. Research is critical and you should know the benefits and risks you’re taking by making this choice. 

2. Don’t Cut It Out

When you officially decide to do this and want to begin cutting out foods, stop. Don’t focus on cutting out everything completely, try to replace certain foods slowly with time. Start with something simple like replacing your milk with nondairy milk. 

3.  Find Recipes That Suit You

Have recipes that sound satisfying put to the side. Start with simple then go on to dinner ideas and then even dessert. This will help you feel more excited and anxious to start rather than feeling like you’re walking into a bland, meatless territory. 

4. Shop

Stock up on foods. Begin to shop for staple vegan items such as healthy grains; quinoa, wild rice, and oats. Then try unsweetened almond milk, along with hemp, chia seeds, walnuts or even flax seed. Some other great staple items are legumes. Try legumes like lentils, green peas, chickpeas or any types of beans you may want to try. Try to stay away from foods with too much added sugar. And of course, don’t forget to pick up some herbs, spices and condiments to make your foods flavorful and decadent!

5. Take It A Day At A Time

Don’t rush it. This change takes time and patience and will be extremely challenging. If you fail, don’t give up. Eliminating meat completely out of your diet is not easy and you will have to challenge yourself when temptation arise, but being patient and prepared will make it much easier!

HCXO! 

Pre-Nursing major at Valdosta State University. Free spirited.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.