Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Save Money while Spending Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Ahhhhh! Doesn’t the feeling of getting paid feel good? If you’re like me, I get the lucky feeling of feeling rich when the money I worked hard for hits my direct deposit. I go crazy with money spending… first buying stuff I need, stuff I want, and then just buying stuff to buy it. It’s a real problem and if you have that same problem when you’re working a summer job and get paid, follow these tips on how to spend money while saving money.

1. Buy stuff you need.

It should be the very first thing you spend your money on because well… needs come before wants.

2. Buy stuff you want.

I’m not talking about when you see a cute top and you just buy it because it’s cute. I’m talking about buying something you’ve been wanting for a while. Which brings me to my next tip.

3.  Splurge every once in a while.

Just don’t splurge on just anything… again, on something you’ve been wanting for a while.

4. Don’t just buy anything because you can afford it.

If you see a cute dress and you don’t see yourself wearing it anytime soon or like tomorrow, it’s probably not cute enough to buy.

5. Set a spending limit on your paycheck.

You wanna have some money left over after spending so I would suggest not spending over half the paycheck or only spending 25% of the paycheck. You decide!

6. Have strong will power.

If you like spend money just to spend money, you have a real problem. Just take a deep breath in and then breathe out. Step slowly away from the item and then slowly walk out the door. Tell yourself, ‘you don’t need that item.’

HCXO!

I'm Jessie Thomas, a junior in college. I'm a fun loving girl who loves music and fashion! Someday I hope to be successful in the entertainment industry.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.