The Everyday College Fashionista: How to Pick the Perfect Sundress for Your Body Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The sun is shining and the flowers are blooming, which only means one thing: summer is here. Okay, it’s not here just yet, but it’s around the corner. Time to break out the daisy dukes and itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, yellow, polka-dot bikinis, as well as the cute, flirty sundresses. Sundresses are essential during the summertime. And who wouldn’t want to see a charming collegiette in a dress, showing off her beautiful legs and arms? Everyone should feel beautiful in a sundress, especially if they’re wearing one that flatters their body. Here are some tips for picking the perfect sundress for your body type.

Apple

If you have an apple-shaped body, you carry much of your weight around your waist. Your sundress should stop just above your knees to create the illusion of long, Naomi-Campbell legs. A sundress with a cinched waist will give your body some added curviness, and an empire waist will take away the emphasis from your midsection.

Pear

Collegiettes who are pear-shaped (or just have a Jennifer-Lopez booty) might enjoy accentuating their assets with fitting bottoms, but when wearing a sundress, it should be loose and flowing. A-line dresses will help slim your frame but still show off your shape.

Hourglass

Hourglass body types fit the description of “curvy.” Typically, you’d want to pick one thing to show off—either butt or boobs. This means, you can choose to highlight your legs by wearing a short sundress with a higher neckline (a crew neck or a shallow V-neck) or highlight your bust by wearing a longer (knee length to floor length) sundress with a plunging neckline.

Athletic

“Athletic” body types aren’t necessarily only for athletic collegiettes. If you have more of a not-so-curvy shape, you may be categorized as athletic. Sundresses with ruching or ruffles at the bust can make your top seem fuller, while dresses that fan out toward the bottom give the illusion of wider hips. Fit-and-flare sundresses accomplish this by fitting closely in the bust and waist areas and fanning out by the hips.

Her Campus at Valdosta State.