How To Maintain Color Treated Natural Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

1. Opt for darker hair colors

When deciding to dye your hair, consider dying it a darker color versus a lighter one. Darker colors aren’t as damaging to your hair and dying your hair to something drastic can take a toll on your strands. If you do decide to on a lighter color, consult with a professional. Whether you’re dying your hair a dark or light shade, it is imperative to have it done by a professional. Store bought dyes are very damaging to your hair and a professional can help to find a color to perfectly match your skin tone. 

2. Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize!

Use a sulfate-free shampoo to ensure your hair doesn’t strip after washing it, it also helps your hair color last longer. Deep condition your hair as much as you can, every time you wash it, if possible. Also, use a leave in conditioner to help maintain moisture after you wash it. Pay attention to your ends as well, as this is the weakest portion of your hair. You can use Argan Oil to help strengthen them. 

3. Protective Styling

Protective styling is essential for any natural haired beauty, but especially if you decide to dye. Aim to wear protective styles 80% of the time to help retain moisture and prevent split ends and breakage. Because the environment is also critical, try to maintain a routine of protective styles throughout the cold, winter months, which gives your hair potential to become brittle. Also try to rarely use heat on your hair, heat is one of the greatest causes to damaged hair, especially with dyed hair. If you decide to use heat on your hair, do it rarely and with low heat. 

HCXO!

Pre-Nursing major at Valdosta State University. Free spirited.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.