This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

It’s that time of the year where classes are ending, holidays are coming up and college students are catching the finals blues. Going home for those couple of weeks then returning can seem like such a drag, but I use this time to celebrate the winter break approaching swiftly. Below are some basic tips that can help with studying for your finals!

1. Time management

Realistically, no one is going to study for hours and hours on end. Cramming has been proven to not be effective because instead of learning the material, you’re simply memorizing it. Instead of trying to cram material, take a few hours out of your day to really sit down & grasp the material. You will be able to focus better & make better grades. 

2. Form study groups 

Initially, I did not like to study with others, but after a couple study group sessions, I’m slowly coming around. Studying with others gives you a chance to learn differently & use strategies that others use to help them study. In the end, you could end up forming new study tactics that you could use for yourself or pass along to others. Also, it will be easier for you to recall different topics during a test because the topics were discussed out-loud with examples.

3. Choose a peaceful environment

A lot of times, we study in environments that are not the quietest or study friendly. Choosing an environment like the library or a computer lab could make a difference. It’ll be easier to focus & block out any distractions. You don’t have distractions like a comfy bed, television or even the kitchen with a refrigerator full of food. 

4. Get a great nights rest

Some people study for hours on end forgetting the most important daily function, sleep. Getting a good nights rest helps your concentration level and energy level. It’s important to not deprive yourself of normal functions like eating or sleeping. A full supply of energy can make a huge difference in academic performance.  

If you follow these simple tips, finals should be a breeze. Remember to never over stress yourself, because it could not only effect your grades but your health as well. These are healthy ways to study and maintain your GPA in the process.

HCXO!  

Her Campus at Valdosta State.