Hip Hop Opens Up on Mental Illness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

When rapper Kid Cudi comes to mind, I think about all of the times he told me it was fine to be myself, to make art and do what makes me happy. His music has impacted the lives of his listeners in positive ways. Never would I, and fans, have thought what he was suffering when he was off the mic. Earlier this month, Cudi released a statement on Facebook, announcing that he will be retiring from making music for some time and will check himself into rehab for depression. Everyone was surprised to hear this, being that Cudi often had the ability to make music that would bring others out of the depression they’ve faced. Cudi stated that “he was not at peace.”

This isn’t the first time mental illness has sparked attention in hip-hop. In fact, it’s one of the most talked about topics in lyrics.  Geto Boys released their single “Mind Playing Tricks on Me” one of hip hops famous single handling the mental effects of the street lifestyle. Hip-hop, in particular, has allowed artists to give their perspective of the world, and tell the world what they’re about, where the come from, and where they plan to go. As hip hop incorporates the effects of mental health in their work, they create an interface where people can relate.

The Nation’s Health says “racial and ethnic minorities — as well as lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people — face greater mental health risks and burden of the disorders because of disparities working against them”. Mental health is key to staying healthy, and maintain proper wellbeing. While the music may entertain others, with the production and lyrical content, it is also allowing the artist to release what they have kept inside. We find that we are listening to the music, but are we actually hearing what the artist is saying?

For example, Atlanta rapper Future is known for his club hits, but he also has songs that focus on his dark side with addiction to prescription drug use. On 56 Nights, we explore Future’s depression and how he stays disoriented to cope with it. We all like the sound of the songs, we even find ourselves repeating the lyrics, but forget what they are trying to portray. He’s crying for help.

Depression can go as far as to attempting self-harm and suicide. Rapper Lil Wayne expressed his attempt in suicide on “Mad” off of Solange’s album A Seat At The Table. In the song, Wayne raps “And when I attempted suicide, I didn’t die / I remember how mad I was on that day.”

While some rappers cry for help, sometimes we hear their cry too late. Brooklyn rapper and Pro Era member Capital STEEZ, a fresh face on the mic at the time, shocked the hip hop world as he took his own life at the shallow age of 19. STEEZ jumped off the Cinematic Music Group building in New York City, not long after the mixtape release of Pro Era’s PEEP: The aPROcalypse.

Hopefully Cudi’s cry for help will be a gateway allowing other artists and people suffering from depression to find help for their wellbeing. We wish nothing but the best in his recovery, and hope that he feels better afterwards. From here, we can make attempts to caring for our mental health better than before. If you know anybody suffering with depression, or are suffering yourself, reach out to someone you feel comfortable talking with. It can be a friend, neighbor, family member, or counselor. It’s good to see a doctor also if you feel like speaking to someone won’t fit your needs. 

Just your unaverage aspiring writer
Her Campus at Valdosta State.