This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Having a baby face really shapes your everyday life. It’s a blessing because you don’t look your age, especially if you’re a female who doesn’t like to tell others your true age, but also a curse when you’re constantly asked for your ID and given the runaround.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love having a baby face…sometimes. I am constantly asked to show my I.D. I literally had this happen to me today and all I was purchasing was a lottery ticket. I’m 20 years old so it wasn’t like I was buying alcohol or something like that; it was just a lottery ticket.  I understand that it’s their job so I have to remind myself of that. What really bugs me about being asked for my ID is when it’s the same exact cashier at the same exact store I shop at. Like, am I really going to suddenly go back in time and be born in the year 2000? No, so I get irritated when I am asked repeatedly to pull out proof. Sometimes I’ll just say I’m 16 years old to stop myself from getting upset at them, just to let some steam off.

I’m in college so there is always a party going on during the weekends. At most parties, you don’t really have to worry about getting carded, but at some clubs, you’re definitely going to need an ID. Well, sometimes I don’t feel like carrying around a purse, even if it’s small to show my age. I feel as though most college students are 18 years or older so why do I need to keep showing you to get in this place plus I have to pay to get in? That’s ridiculous. 

When it comes to dating, it’s crazy to me because people sometimes think that my boyfriend is my cousin. We look nothing at all alike, but when they see us together, they can’t truly understand that we are a couple. He’s 21, just a year older than me.  Even if you’re not in a relationship yet, you’re going to attract people who think you’re the same age as them. For example, when I was single and around 19 years old, a 16-year-old tried to talk to me, along flirting. I could tell he was younger than me. I had to literally walk away, it was so embarrassing.I would get comments like “You must like dating men way older than you.” and “Wow, he’s kinda old for you, don’t you think?” That is one way to really irritate me. 

On a more positive side, I can get away with a lot having a baby face. I can purchase children’s tickets at movies, show people my true knowledge, and better aging in life. When people think you’re very young and you jump in a mature conversation, they are very blown back like “Wow!? How old are you again?” and that has happened to me quite a few times. My mother has a baby face. She is in her 40’s but looks like she is in her early 20’s so I know where I am headed in the future. So, if you have a baby face, don’t let it get your down. Instead, flaunt it because the people around who will never understand how it feels to have the true fountain of youth.

(my mom on left, me on the right)

HCXO!

Hello, Paige Buchanan is currently a junior mass media major and journalism minor at Valdosta State University. She loves the art of writing and media. Her career goal is to be a News Anchor. She loves to socialize with new people, explore her options in every aspect, and has many goals set for herself. She always has loved the quote "The Sky Isn't The Limit, It's Only The View" Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: paige_beauty96
Her Campus at Valdosta State.