On The Go: Top 6 Items All College Girls Need in Their Car

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Being in college already means you’re pretty busy. Having a car comes with a lot of responsibilities so between classes, work, workouts and everything else going on you probably don’t have time to go home for every little thing. The best way to keep your stress down is to always stay prepared! Here are a girl’s top 6 necessities for their car:

1. Emergency Kit

First things first, before you hit the road make sure you’re ready and prepared for anything that could happen. That includes that unexpected flat tire, a dead battery or the oil change you just might have to do yourself.  Make sure you have a car jack, spare tire and pressure gauge. Do yourself a favor and learn to change a tire and your oil! It will save you a panic and the trouble if you ever need these tools. Also, consider keeping a First Aid Kit under your seat!

2. Umbrella

As inconsistent as the weather is in Georgia, this one is pretty self-explanatory. It actually may be a good idea to keep a couple of umbrellas in your car just in case.

3. Charger

This one’s a no brainer. Make sure you keep a cell phone car charger with you, and voila, no dead phone. (Not to mention the fact that you use your phone as a GPS, too.)

4. Feminine Products

Okay, It’s NOTHING like being out and being totally unprepared for that time of the month, BUT it’s a relief to know that wherever you are, you brought your backup with you! (Whew!What to bring: Tampons, baby wipes, body spray and lotion. You can pack your personal items in a little make up bag so no one knows what it is but you.

5. Change of Clothes / Shoes

This necessity is just a follow-up of the need for your feminine “stuff.” You NEVER want to be unprepared when your outfit is giving you more problems than you were anticipating! A pair of yoga pants, jeans, a few shirts, a party dress, a jacket and an extra pair of shoes will save you each and every time, I promise. It may even save you a trip back home! If you find yourself underdressed or overdressed, you’ll always have options.

6. CASH

Parking meters, street vendors, and that last-minute emergency you weren’t quite expecting; there are plenty of reasons to keep cash on hand and it’s probably the most responsible thing you could do for yourself while driving. For safety, make sure you keep your money in a compartment that’s not in the open for people walking by to see. Put your things away even after you lock up!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.