This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

To the friends who became family:

College was a huge transition. It’s a time for new beginnings and new experiences. It wasn’t easy at first. Starting new is never easy. I never thought I would get homesick, but it certainly hit soon after I settled in. The first year of college was incredible. You adapt to the change, and you conquer the days that are ahead of you. You become close to certain people, and you find your future roommate. Mine was one of my suitemates. Freshman year was the year of making memories and sharing memories. You meet new people, and more memories are created. There were wild nights full of laughter, nights with tears running down our faces, and nights where we realized how good it was to be where we were. I will always be grateful for the friends I had last year. They made the first year of college an unforgettable time.

Sophomore year came around, and things change. Change is inevitable. With the new year, you have to get used to a new schedule, and priorities become clear. Going out wasn’t the same, and being reckless was definitely not as easy. The wild nights simmered down, and chilling in the living room became the spot for the weekends. Suddenly, you become closer to the new people you met last year. Last year, they were simply friends or acquaintances. This year, they are the ones you find yourself hanging out with the most. This is what happens when time moves on. People change, and circumstances change.

Just like last year, every weekend ends up in laughter. However, this year, it feels different. Conversations get deeper, and the warm feelings of friendship grow bigger. Weekends, last year, were spent gathering around the mirror getting ready to dance the night away. This year, you gather around the dinner table to share in the love of food and conversation. The moments of freshman year will always be cherished. After all, they were the times that set up the college experience. I am so happy to have two different friend groups because it means having more people to surround myself with. However, there’s something bigger about this year. You realize that these friends became family. These are the friends that I know will pick me up when I’m feeling down. They are the type of friends that never leave anyone behind. They are there for each other, and that’s such an incredible feeling to experience. So thank you friends for being my family here when my first is far away. Thanks for spending countless weekends in our living room, and thanks for appreciating us. Thanks for accepting us into your friend group, and most of all, thank you for the new memories. 

HCXO!

Sylvia Leong is a mass media major at Valdosta State University hoping to achieve her goal of securing a job in sports broadcasting. This Georgia peach loves all shades of blue, football season, and charming her way with sarcasm. Follow on Instagram and Twitter: svia96
Her Campus at Valdosta State.