Finding the Perfect Pet for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

I am the ultimate animal lover and happen to have 2 cats by the names of Smokie and Thunder, one dog named Jodie and one baby snake named Zim. So, I for one know how difficult it can get when you want a pet but just don’t know which will fit you and your lifestyle. This article will help you in your final decision.

Dogs:

If you’re the type of person who wants an animal that will adore you (even more than you adore him or her) a dog is definitely for you. Dogs are loyal, loving and (sometimes) obedient creatures that researchers have recently found to not only love and protect you, but also look at you as family. They love to play with all things squeaky, take long walks and wait at the door for you to come home every day. They make great workout partners and cute cuddle buddies. Who needs a boyfriend when you have a dog!

Cats:

Although some cats may be cuddly, these animals are far more than just the cute aspects. Due to their superior attitude, although they love their owners, unlike dogs, instead of looking up to us they tend to look down on you. They can sometimes get moody, grumpy and even have days where they’ll want to be left alone. If you’re the type of person who wants an animal that admires you but isn’t very bothersome, this is the pet for you! The type of pet to follow you around the house but will give you your space when you need it.

Reptiles:

Now, a lot of us girls are very squeamish around things that slither, hiss and have scales. If you can look past this you’ll find that reptiles truly make wonderful pets. Unlike cats and dogs they live inside of a controlled environment and you decide when you want to bring them out. My Ball Python, Zim loves laying on his heat rock and sleeping in his hide. They don’t bother you much and cost quite less than mammals. They tend to eat once a week or once a month (depending on the reptile) and are quite easy to get along with. If you’re the type of person who wants a pet that requires minimal care, a low budget but will still love you to bits, a reptile is for you!

Hamsters, Ferrets, Gerbils, and Rats:

These small furry animals are full of energy and also live in controlled environments. With these kind of animals you can get most of the same pros you would get from a dog and the same amount of maintenance you would get from a reptile. They play in their habitats, eat in their habitats and sleep in their habitats and you’re able to bring them out as you please. Plus, they make the cutest little clothes and leashes for animals like these. They come in many different shapes and forms but are all equally lovable. 

Insects:

You may think I’m crazy but tarantulas are actually a lot less scary than they seem. Yes, they’re huge spiders covered in hair, but they want to be loved too! Trust me! Once you get past the way it feels for a spider that big to crawl on you it won’t bother you at all. Not only are insects calm and live in controlled environments but they also are good for low budgets.

Fish:

Now, these have got to be the anybody can do it pet. Although these pets can’t be held they are lots of fun to look at and play with through the glass. Also, if you take very good care of them they have a chance of having a very long life span. Easy maintenance too! 

Good luck on your pet ventures, HCXO!

Journalist, Writer, Mother and Wife. Passionate about travel and alternative/indie music. English and Journalism graduate at Valdosta State University as of May 2017. Follow me on twitter: GenevaCrooks_ Add me on Facebook: Geneva Rena'
Her Campus at Valdosta State.