This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Leg day is one of the most popular exercise days to do in the gym. Here are a few tips in making your leg day enjoyable and safe.

1.  Stretching is important!

One of the most important things to do before engaging in any exercise is to stretch. Stretching has multiple benefits that make leg day easier. Stretching helps loosen muscles for strenuous work outs, as well as providing muscles the ability to be more flexible, which helps prevent muscle tears, and any injury. There are also four different types of stretching: ballistic, dynamic, proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, and static stretching, with static stretching being the most commonly used form of stretching.

2. Start at a slow pace.

Most people who start leg day attempt to use large amount of weights when working out. It is best to start off with a smaller amount of weight and gradually work your way up. Other mistakes people do is attempting to speed through their workout. This can cause tears in major leg muscles such as your Anterior Cruciate Ligament or ACL. When working on any leg muscles you have to go at a controlled pace to allow a full contraction of the muscle.

3.  Everyday does not have to be leg day.

Leg day is a fun workout, however this does not have to be a daily exercise. You have to give your legs an adequate amount of days to recover especially if you are a college student who engages in other activities. Also if you are a person who walks majority of the day you do not have to schedule leg day no more than twice a week. Constant walking keeps leg muscles toned which does not require any more stress applied to them.
HCXO!
My name is Westgarth Emmah. I am currently a senior who major in Nursing at Valdosta State University. I have dreams of working as a labor and delievey nurse in my hometown of Atlanta, Georgia.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.