jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Everyday Fashionista: How To Dress for Your Body Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Every woman has her own unique body shape and size. Whether you’re tall and busty or short and slender the way you dress can either capture your curves or exploit them. Finding the right cut of jeans can be the difference between a wardrobe malfunction and an outstanding first impression. Along with loving your body comes finding clothes that complement your shape. Here are some tips for dressing for your body type!

The Triangle

Characteristics: Slender upper-half and waist, shapely thighs and voluptuous hips

What to wear: With a shape like this, filling out your upper-half to create some balance is key. Thicker layers on your top half or shirts and jackets that stop at the waist can better represent you slim waist line. Try to stray away from tight or slim fitting shirts.

When it comes to bottoms, picking pants and jeans with a tad bit of flare on the ends can give your legs some desired length. When choosing dresses and skirts, try a simple A-line hem. A-lines show off your curvy hips and small waist. Since your lower body seems to get all of the attention, try wearing chunky jewelry and brighter colors up top. This can draw more attention upstairs.

The Ruler

Characteristics: Overall slender shape and athletic build

What to wear: For this body type, try not to wear straight or box-like clothing. Look for soft shoulders, halter tops or spaghetti strapped tops. These add a feminine and delicate look to your upper half. Asymmetrical hems or curved hems are your friends. They create the illusion of a shapelier waist.

For bottoms try high waist or wide leg pants. For your slender body, these bottoms create curve. The baggy boyfriend look also looks great on you, just don’t forget to pair it with a more feminine look on top. The softer the fabric, the better; silks, lace and ruffles are your friends.

The Inverted Triangle

Characteristics: Small torso, busty with slender legs and hips

What to wear: Plain and simplistic tops look great on you. V-necks and rounded collars create a more delicate look. Try lighter fabrics up top and heavier fabrics on the bottom.

To add volume to your bottom half try flowing, long or wide leg bottoms. Adding more definition to your lower half can create an overall balance. Minimize jewelry up top and opt for darker colors as well. Color and creativity should be more centered to your bottom half. Printed skirts and exquisite shoes will amplify your look.

The Apple

Characteristics: Soft shoulders, slender thighs and legs, balanced mid-section and a petite bottom

What to wear: With curves like these, creating structure is the way to go. Picking jackets and blouses with angles and flutters can create the structure you desire. Wrap dresses, asymmetrical jackets, and draped fabrics also can give your curves the support you want.

Give your legs the appreciation they deserve by picking straight leg or boot cut bottoms. Straightening your body’s lower half will give it an hourglass appearance. Large and geometric prints work well on you. Don’t be afraid to wear patterns. Also, the heavier the fabrics, the better the structured fit.

The Hourglass

Characteristics: Curvy hips, busty with a slender waist

What to wear: Your dynamic curves need a simplistic look. Avoid layers and try scoop necks and simple structured tops. Choose tops that come together at the waist to show off your slender stomach. Also, look for shirts and jackets that flare out at your hips. The flares smooth out your curves.

Fitted bottoms like skinny jeans and pencil skirts grasp your curves just right. Hourglass figures need clothes that flow along their defining curves. Therefore, materials with a tad bit of stretch are the way to go. Look for bold, solid colors; they work better for your shape rather than patterns. Patterns and prints have a tendency to hide your shape and swallow your curves.

Her Campus at Valdosta State.